Robert george Glansford married Emma Willmott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert george Glansford married Emma Willmott

Robert George Glansford (1834-1914) married Emma Willmott (1837-1901). Emma was from Middlesex and Robert from London.
    I know they both migrated to Sth Australia by 1862 because their five children were born in Pt Lincoln Sth Australia.
    1. Robert george Glansford born 1 Dec 1862
    2. Mary Emily Glansford 1864-1866
    3. Sarah Ann Glansford 1869-1934 married Richard William Golley (my great grandparents)
    4. Alfred John Glansford born 1872
    5. Emma Jane Glansford 1876-1936 married William Lincoln Argent.
    Any info about Robert or Emma's families in England would be a great help. Or even when they married?
    Terri Brown .Brisbane .Australia

Robert emigrated in 1857

Is shown on Ancestry as

Robert Glansford born c 1833,
    Port of departure - Newport
    Port of Arrival - Sydney, NSW
    Arrival Date - 13 Jun 1857
    Name of vessel - Sebastopol

Can't see a marriage to Emma at the moment.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi - you might have this already? - Emma, beloved wife of Robert George Glansford, aged 64 years.- 24th Sept 1901 - Adelaide Advertiser
      There are more mentions of the surname in the beta site http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Comment

Thanks to Elaine..Spain too.
        The newspaper link has been a great help.
        Certainly confirms Emma's death date.
        Plus i never did until now know how to get to the old newspaper links.
        You guys are wonderful
        Terri brown. Brisbane

Comment

Hi Terri - I'm also in Brissie! Small world.
          Might be worth giving these a call - Port Lincoln Pioneers and Descendants Club
          42 Dublin Street, Port Lincoln SA 5606, Australia
          and also using the Ask Now for their library - http://www.portlincoln.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=291

Just saw this for Robert (as per the info that Elaine found)

GLANSFORD ROBERT ABLE SEAMAN 24 LONDON CREW

SEBASTOPOL
          OF CORK, WM DAWSON, MASTER, BURTHEN 609 TONS
          FROM THE PORT OF NEWPORT, TO SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, JUNE 13, 1857

so this implies that he might have met Emma in Australia and jumped ship?? .....what was Robert G's occupation?

A George Glansford was on a Ships Crew in 1836..as per the site that Sunny Kate mentioned -
          http://trove.nla.gov.au/result?q=glansford - if the same George, he was from Barking in Essex, and his body was found
          in Sept 1837! Could be related to Robert George?? There's also another George mentioned in 1859.
          Last edited by naomiatt; 31-01-10, 04:48.

Comment

couldnt see anything for nsw or qsld. you will need the s.a. discs, or go in in person to your state archives to search the database.

Comment

Hi. i have now found that Emma Willmott died 13 Sept 1901 at 'The Castle" Pt Lincoln. ('THE ADELAIDE ADVERTISER' Page 4 .Tuesday 24 September 1901)
              I am thinking that was a Pub.
              The newspaper link has been wonderful. i didn't know how to use it before- now i have found heaps of info on other relatives from Sth Australia.
              It is possible the other George Glansfords are related. I am hoping maybe his father?
              They are a slippery lot to trace....
              My other rellies are Golley from Pt lincoln originally from Cornwall -have quite a bit on them.
              Skinner from Kent to S.A
              my tree is skinnerconnection3 on ancestry.if you are connected.
              Thanks again
              Terri Brown
              (don't you just love this rain we are getting)

Comment

Hi - yes, nice to get some rain - less humid as well...gets a bit much sometimes!

Did it state the occupation of Robert George on his marriage cert? - and were there any witnesses?
                Do you know when he died or where he is buried?

There was a Castle Tavern in Port Lincoln - establised 1852 http://www.gdaypubs.com.au/SA/port+lincoln.html
                but then renamed the Pier Hotel...

This must be the George above GLANSFORD George (crew) arrived 1836-07-27 on Duke of York from London 1836-04-05 who died in 1837 - sounds like something went on if the crew left him and another to die..or at least left his body...

With your other names, you're probably best to do separate posts for them..as they might get lost on this topic..
                Last edited by naomiatt; 01-02-10, 06:03.

Comment

Hi

There arent many Glansfords in England,

There is a family in Yorkshire, The father is a fisherman. But along the lines it seems he came from Ramsgate, on the IGI a submitted entry gives him born Ramsgate. On most census he says hes from Yorkshire but in one census he says Ramsey Kent(Ramsgate Kent)

There is one in London, Name William Glansford
                  he married
                  Groom William Glansford
                  Spouse Elizabeth Gilbertson (Widow)
                  Event Date: 1 Jun 1848
                  Parish: St John, Bethnal Green

William was a mariner, his father John was a mariner. (wedding certificate)

cant find a single Glansford on the 1841 census, but if they were at sea then that dosent help.

on the 1851 census we find 5 of em

Elizabeth(1827) and son William (mariners wife) living in St George in the East (docklands area of london) (from the marriage above)

John Glansford in Thanet Workhouse born 1787 Barking Essex a Mariner
                  Mary Glansford a married visitor(Kent), mother of Martha Hartzman wife ot Thomas Hartzman a Mariner(both from Ramsgate Kent)
                  Sarah Glansford (1840) Ramsgate Thanet Workhouse daughter of a Mariner

in 1861

William Glansford (is this the fella that married Elizabeth, on board a ship) abt 1821 London, Middlesex, England A B Seaman (Seaman)

Elizabeth Glansford abt 1827 (Widow) Mile End N T, Middlesex, (living in Bethnal Green)
                  Louisa Glansford abt 1852 (baptised 28 Jan 1855 St john of Wapping, mother Elizabeth, Father william a mariner)
                  Henry Glansford abt 1855 (baptised 28 Jan 1855 St john of Wapping, mother Elizabeth, Father william a mariner)

Another baptism crops up, in Bethnal Green, Frederick Joseph, born 24th August 1861, mother Elizabeth, father William a mariner(thought she was supposed to be a widow);)

in 1871 the only Glansford is Louisa (1852) b. Stepney livingin Spitalfields as niece by a Sarah Kirk from Cornwall

in 1881 Frederick pops up in Spitalfields claiming to have been born in Ramgate Kent.(working in a pub) I think our John From Essex is the father and grandfather supreme.

in 1891 Frederick Joseph is married, a carman, comes from Bethnal Green again.:D

If the Glansfords actually knew where they were born it would help.

Glansfords on the BMD (this began 1837)
                  first thanet

Births Sep 1839
                  Glansford Sarah I. Thanet 5 414

Marriages Dec 1845
                  GLANSFORD John I of Thanet 5 752
                  READ Mary I of Thanet 5 752

Deaths Dec 1866
                  Glansford Mary age 79 Thanet 2a 451

Deaths Jun 1873
                  Glansford John age 86 Thanet 2a 438

Marriages Jun 1879 (could thid be James Herny son of William the mariner)
                  GLANSFORD James Henry Thanet 2a 1294
                  Deaths Mar 1880
                  Glansford James Henry *24 Thanet 2a 616

Marriages Dec 1890 widow of James Henry
                  Glansford Annie Maria Thanet 2a 1743

Marriages Sep 1939 (son of?? or himself??)
                  Glansford Frederick J Thanet 2a 5962

Marriages Jun 1848
                  Glansford William Bethnal Gn 2 16

Births Dec 1851
                  Glansford Louisa Elizabeth Stepney 2 535

Births Mar 1855
                  Glansford Henry James St Geo E 1c 459

Births Jun 1858 ( another posthumous birth;))
                  Glansford Eliza Ann Mile End 1c 539
                  Deaths Jun 1858
                  Glansford Eliza Ann Bethnal Gn. 1c 201

Births Dec 1861
                  GLANSFORD Frederick Joseph Whitechapel 1c 339

Marriages Jun 1873
                  Glansford Louisa Elizabeth Whitechapel 1c 797

Marriages Mar 1882
                  Glansford Elizabeth Bethnal Green 1c 317
                  A widow , the fathers name is Frederick(surname is conflicting), same as marriage to William,
                  Marriages Mar 1882
                  Glansford Frederick Joseph Bethnal Green 1c 325
                  (Says his father is William a sailor, his occupation was barman.)

So if you ask me All the Glansfords are related to John from Essex. A mariner. Now the fun will be finding a link to them all

mm

Comment

Re Emma being Married to William Lincoln Argent.

The info below is mainly about William Lincoln Argent. I saw you were after Dates of weddings. My Father and now, I have compiled this so far.

My interest is mainly with William Lincoln Argent when he apparently went back to England, but this does tie in with your family also.

William Lincoln has vanished, if by chance you / anyone find anything of him it would be appreciated.
                    Regards Peter

WILLIAM LINCOLN ARGENT THE ELDEST CHILD AND FIRST SON OF WILLIAM AND ALLICE ARGENT NEE WALKER GATES WAS BORN AT PORT LINCOLN ON THE 26th SEPTEMBER 1872.
                    HIS WIFE
                    HE MARRIED EMMA JANE GLANSFORD ON THE 23rd OCTOBER 1898. SHE WAS BORN ON THE 20th JANUARY 1876. EMMA JANE ARGENT DIED AT PORT LINCOLN ON THE 2nd APRIL 1936.
                    CHILDREN OF WILLIAM LINCOLN AND EMMA JANE ARGENT NEE GLANSFORD
                    EMMA JANE WILLIAM LINCOLN MARION EMMA BEATRICE 6/4/1899 B637P123 PT.LINCOLN FLINDERS
                    THE ARGENT ORAL FAMILY HISTORY SAYS THAT WILLIAM ARRIVED HOME UNEXPECTEDLY AND FOUND EMMA IN BED WITH ANOTHER MAN. HE LEFT AND WENT TO ENGLAND.
                    IN HIS FATHER’S OBITUARY IT SAYS WILLIAM WAS LIVING IN ENGLAND. THE BIRTH RECORDS AT PORT LINCOLN SHOW ONLY MARION AS WILLIAM’S CHILD
                    NB.OTHER CHILDREN BORN TO EMMA JANE WERE NOT WILLIAM LINCOLN’S CHILDREN ALTHOUGH THEY WENT BY THE NAME OF ARGENT
                    MARION EMMA BEATRICE ARGENT WAS THE ONLY CHILD OF WILLIAM LINCOLN AND EMMA JANE ARGENT NEE GLANSFORD. SHE WAS BORN AT PORT LINCOLN DISTRICT OF FLINDERS ON THE 6th APRIL 1899. REFERENCE B637 P123. SHE DID NOT MARRY. BUT HAD A CHILD, HAROLD GEORGE ARGENT. SHE DIED AT WHYALLA ON THE 3rd NOVEMBER 1978
                    MARION WORKED AS A DOMESTIC, AND LIVED WITH HER MOTHER AND HALF BROTHER IN BOSTON STREET PORT LINCOLN. SHE MOVED TO WHYALLA IN HER LATTER YEARS.

Comment

glansford /argent

Hi Peter thanks for that. Can you tell me which side you are related to?. Emma jane Glansford was my great aunt. Her Sister, Sarah Ann Glansford married into my Golley line in Pt Lincoln. i will certainly see what i can find about William Lincoln Argents' dissapearance. my email is <deleted personal e-address>
                      Terri Brown
                      Brisbane

Sorry Terri, but we don't put personal e-addresses on the main boards, because they can be picked up by the search engines and spammers. You can give your e-address to anyone by PM (Personal Message). Just click on their name, in the box on the left of their post, and you'll see the PM option. ~ Christine in Herts
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-05-11, 12:44. Reason: personal e-address displayed

Comment

Working...
                      X