Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 told you I would be back!!*Elaine* anyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 told you I would be back!!*Elaine* anyone!

**Elaine** I have done what you suggested and send a message to Russ, about not being able to register my FTM 2010 he has ask me to check the date/time and time zone on my computer?.....Errrr how do I check my time zone???...sorry about all these hipcups, once I am sorted, you won't hear a peep from me, honest....:o...Lilly

Just right-click on the little clock at the bottom right of your screen, then click on Adjust Date/Time.
    Alternatively, click on the Start button > Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Set the time and date

Either way, you should then see a window with a "Change time zone" button, and also an "Internet time" tab, which you can use to automatically synchronise your clock with an Internet time server.

(this is for Vista, but should be the same in Windows 7)
    Last edited by Cloggie; 29-01-10, 11:15.
    Sarah

Comment

Ooooh clever girl lol...I am on UTC time zone ! odd, oh well I will report back to Russ on FTM help and see what he makes of it all.....Lol many thanks Sarah ...Lilly..ps maybe I shouldn't have brought an Amercian laptop !! hehe
      Last edited by Lilly the flower; 29-01-10, 11:26.

Comment

Ah, that might explain why it has the wrong time zone for your location. Are you enjoying the laptop apart from this glitch?
        Sarah

Comment

he he....yes I am really enjoying it, lots of hiccups, but nothing serious.....I noticed that when I first got it, web pages kept coming up .com..my daughter said I was dreaming....I am sure this computer, knows he came from the State!!s....if I put in Amazon.co.uk, it redirects me, to com, honest....I went on Genealogy.com, and it said 'we notice that you are not in the USA but the UK so we will redirect you,,its seems it is talking to me, spooky....anyway, its great, much better than my XP, I just need to register this FTM 2010 So that I can get access to the free 6 months Ancestry, if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't bother....not sure about FTM 2010, I was so use to the old 2006. there seems so much to re learn...but I don't have any choice....I was playing around yesterday, trying to connect scanner and printer, (they don't work either lol) and I found some old CD's with my family tree on them, I have quite few of these, I thought I would open then up and have a look...see where I was 4/5 years ago.....of course they won't open up, as they were saved from the 2006 FTM...so I have a pile of useless CD's....I do like the windows 7, but nothing seems compatible...plod on lol.......Lilly.

Comment

It sounds like your location may be set to US rather than UK- which is probably due to the location settings entered when you (or someone else) first set up the laptop.
            I have the same problem with Google. As my location is the Netherlands, whenever I clear my cookies it brings up the Dutch Google site instead of the UK or US one.

Try clicking on Start button > Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Change the country or region, and see if it's set to UK.
            You can also change your date, time, number and keyboard (US/UK English) format, and other regional settings.

Again, this is for Vista, but is probably the same for Windows 7. If not, I can check on my laptop (which has Windows 7) over the weekend when I have more time.

I'm afraid I can't help with FTM 2010. I've got 2006 on my PC (Vista), as well as Family Historian 4. I've installed Family Historian on my laptop (Windows 7) without any problem, but have been thinking about maybe getting FTM 2010 as well.

The printer and scanner problem should be pretty easy to solve. Check the support pages on the manufacturer's website - they should have the latest drivers for Windows 7 available for download. I'd be happy to check for you if you tell me the make and model of your printer & scanner.

It should also be possible to run older software in XP mode on Windows 7 computers, but I haven't tried that yet, so can't offer any advice. Here's the Microsoft link with more info: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx
            Last edited by Cloggie; 29-01-10, 12:03.
            Sarah

Comment

I dont understand why the time zone should affect it ??????????? or am I missing something ?

Comment

Something to do with the verification process, Val. Maybe checking that the ISP settings match the computer's time zone?
                It's one of the steps in troubleshooting FTM registration problems: http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm....p?p_faqid=3072
                Sarah

Comment

**Sarah** what a carry on ah? ....ity does seem that all these problems are connect to the fact I bought this laptop in the USA but it was so cheap!.....lots of useful suggestions in your last thread Sarah.....I have to go out now, but will be back later this afternoon, I am going to spend a bit of time. playing around and do the things you have suggested...so I will get back to you later....to let you know how I have got on.....thank you for all your time....I would have been lost without this board....

**Val* I don't know either lol.....I will let you know when and if I find out.......Lilly

Comment

The first time I switched on my new laptop, I had to go through the set-up process and enter my location, language, etc. Whoever set up your laptop the very first time will have had to do the same, and by the sound of it those settings don't match your current location. It should hopefully be easy enough to sort out with the settings in Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region.
                    :smilee:
                    Sarah

Comment

Oh dear, had a quick look , and they are all UTC settings, I have mind set on...Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London...so I would have thought it was OK....if not I am stuffed!! as there isn't any other UK settings.....6 months ancestry slowly drifting away from me.........lol....Lilly...ps date and time is set right.......

Comment

Hi there
                        I'm also having a time problem with windows 7 on my new pc. I have it set up correctly to show my time on the taskbar, but when I get emails in they show completely different times from when they were received. I even saw 2 coming in at 4pm my time but 1 showed 5.05am & the other showed 9.31pm & it can't have been when they were sent as they were both local contacts. A puzzle!! I never had this on XP
                        Expat in Oz
                        I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

umm confused now there seems to be two threads about the same thing?

Lilly see my post in the other thread.
                          Last edited by rbere; 29-01-10, 18:28.
                          Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Working...
                          X