Dates on Graves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates on Graves

On my grandfathers grave it has his birthdate on there. He died in 1984. Alot of the graves near him also have birthdates on them aswell as the death. Is this comman? would it have been comman in 1921? or is it just personal choice of the next of kin?

Reason i am asking is i have been having a hard time with an ancestor and locating her birth. I have bought 2 certificates which i thought were the best ones of a few (as in a good chance it would be hers) but they were both wrong ones. Im not sure where to go next as it may be that she was born with a different name and/or a different place. I have located her grave and was just wondering if her birthdate would be on there? it would narrow my search down!

I think it was a personal choice. Many of mine just have the age they were when they died although some, going back to the 19th century have dates of birth instead.
    Jackie

Comment

i guess i will soon find out!
      it would make it so much easier for research if all graves had birthdates

Comment

Problem was many people didn't know their date of birth., didn't celebrate birthdays either like we do today

Comment

Even when they do they can be wrong.. I remember someone posting a grave stone picture on here I think it was which had the birthday as 30th Feb :D :D

Comment

I think its personal choice, some stones have alot of info, birthdates, maiden names, some name siblings and or children/grandchildren. Guess its just upto the NOK really.

who is it you are having problems with Leah?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

In my experience, the age/date of birth is as accurate on a gravestone as it is on a death cert!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                I think its personal choice, some stones have alot of info, birthdates, maiden names, some name siblings and or children/grandchildren. Guess its just upto the NOK really.

who is it you are having problems with Leah?
                Sarah Ellen Rees nee hughes

I just can't find a birth for her.

I tried these two-
                Births Dec 1875 - Hughes, Sarah Ellen - W. Derby - 8b - 489.
                Births Dec 1876 - Hughes, Sarah Ellen - W. Derby - 8b - 320.

both were wrong, they were the most likely of all i felt
                just don't know where to go
                the only options i have are to buy all sarah ellen hughes birth certificates

i keep thinking that maybe she was registered with a different name, maybe last name, but without knowing her mothers maiden name, i cant even track down a marriage

Comment

The marriage says Sarah Hughes no mention of Ellen to a Samuel Rees in Neath Breconshire Sep 1912 11a 1767

Comment

are you sure she was born in Derby ??????????

Comment

Sorry

sarah married john evans and then david rees

her son was william samuel rees

She gives her birth date in all census as liverpool, i couldn't find a liverpool birth for a sarah ellen hughes so i was suggested to look at w.derby

Comment

These are the threads on them

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

Some new info i found out in regards to the old threads

Sarah had Minnie and Nellie with John Evans and not David
                        Also John Evans was burried 4th may 1907 age 33.....that same year in the dec Sarah remarried to David
                        Nellie Died age 16 June 1919 2 years later Sarah Died
                        Last edited by scorpioleah; 29-01-10, 13:36.

Comment

where did she die ??

Comment

This might sound silly but as her family were back in Wales by 1881 and seem to be in Wales on all census records wonder if they registered the Birth in Wales ???????????

Comment

these are the Births I found in Liverpool between January 1874 and Dec 1875
                              Sarah Hughes Jun 1874 8B 36
                              Sarah Hughes Sep 1874 8B 190
                              Sarah Ellen Hughes Sep 1875 8C 578
                              Sarah Hughes Dec 1875 8B 54 and 8B 177
                              Not forgetting they did not always register middle names

if you do decide to send for any please check my details in case I made any mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                where did she die ??
                                she died in neath, wales in 1921

Comment

This might sound silly but as her family were back in Wales by 1881 and seem to be in Wales on all census records wonder if they registered the Birth in Wales ???????????
                                  That is very possible

Comment

these are the Births I found in Liverpool between January 1874 and Dec 1875

Sarah Ellen Hughes Sep 1875 8C 578

if you do decide to send for any please check my details in case I made any mistakes
                                    I did not see that one! i will try this one first as it does have the middle name as it ticks all the boxes, and if its not the one i can try the others. thanks val

Comment

ooh hope you didnt order it yet that one is in Preston ? I did say check my details first .

Comment

hi
                                        no haven't ordered it yet
                                        only just come back online so havent had a chance to look at them well yet

Comment

Working...
                                        X