Looking for relatives of Albert W Johnson RAF 272 Squadron and his girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for relatives of Albert W Johnson RAF 272 Squadron and his girl

Greetings from Canada. My name is Jamie and I am doing some research on my great uncle Frederick A Duquette, pilot officer J/17243, 272 Squadron R.A.F., Royal Canadian Air Force who died aged 20 may 8th, 1943 on a return flight from Heliopolis to Malta where he was stationed. He perished in the Mediterrean in bad weather.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions or can help getting in touch with the family members of Albert W Johnson, (my uncle’s observer who also perished) and possible living person who was his girlfriend all those years ago.

These were the addresses from the original letters of the individuals in question:
    Arthur William JOHNSON, 1338492, Flight Sergeant, Royal Air Force (V.R.), 272 Squadron, died 8th May 1943, aged 20 years. Son of Arthur W. and Alice J. Johnson, of 13 Brent Close, Dartford, Kent. England.
    possible living person

The reason would like to follow this lead is because in some of my uncle’s letters, there are some written by Albert W Johnson’s mother to my great grandmother (Frederick’s mother) after the crash where they describe getting pictures of them and their plane, letters, etc. I also have a letter written by possible living person to my great grandmother with a lot of similar information. I believe it might be worth it to speak to their descendents who may have some material tucked away.

It is hard for non residents of the UK to have access to web searches unless you live there. Would you know of how I could go about putting a search out for their descendents?

What I have done already is send two to letters to the old addresses in the letters including a general ‘call out’ for information and copies of the original letters.

Any assistance or leads would be most welcome.

I remain humbly greatful. Sincerely yours, Jamie
    p.s.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 29-01-10, 16:15. Reason: Naming of possible living persons under 100 years old in title

I have no idea How you would get in touch with them but welcome to FTF.A possible for possible living person is that she married further down the track so a search of the English BMD might possibly throw up a marriage.
    Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 29-01-10, 11:31.

Comment

There are some contact addresses on our RAF wiki page which may be of use to you in finding out more about his time in the RAF.

They may lead to something useful ...
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Welcome to Family Tree Forum, Jamie

I'm sorry but I've had to remove the girlfriend's name as she may well be still alive. We do this for anyone who is/or likely to be under 100 years of age.

I can suggest though that you use a site such as http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/home/ as someone may well be researching these families already

Comment

Hello Jac thanks for the suggestion. I just needed clarification as I new to the forum. What is the English BMD and is it searchable online? Thanks a lot Jamie

Comment

Thank you very much Caroline I'll take a look. Cheers, Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Theramin View Post
              I just needed clarification as I new to the forum. What is the English BMD and is it searchable online?
              BMD = Births Marriages and Deaths.

You need an Ancestry subscription to search their transcribed index derived from the indexes produced by the General Register Office (GRO). For events between the start of civil registration in 1837 and roughly 1920 you can get free access to the FreeBMD transcriptions at www.freebmd.org.uk
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you very much Uncle John

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Jamie

As well as the central GRO index, which UJ mentions above, there are also the local BMD sites. Not all local Register Offices have online databases, but a number do. Have a look here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ and click on "Local BMD" from the menu on the left of the Home page.

Some of the local sites have quite recent information available. Coverage varies, but there's often a page where you can find out just what transcriptions they have uploaded.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X