Page Numbers - For A Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Numbers - For A Book

I have a book that has say Ten Chapters. At the moment they are all on seperate Word 2007 documents. I am hoping to be able to find a way to have a continuous page numbering and not have to do it manually.

1) Is it possible to say have Chapter One pages 1 -7. When I open Chapter Two I need the pages to continue pages 8 - 20.

Maybe I need to merge all the chapters into one document but that looks like hard work.

Is there an easy way sort my problems please and all replies most welcome in simple form please. [

I have tried using Instert / Page Numbers/ Headers & Footers but somewhere a long the line I am missing a link as I need to follow each chapter seperately. Also when I merge the Chapters they seem to loose their individual title and pick up the name of the First Chapter.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

This may not be the "correct" way to merge your chapters but this is what I would do

Firstly I would start a new document so that if you don't like how it turns out, you've still got the originals

Go to chapter 1 and press Ctrl and A. All the typing should be blocked out in black

Right click somewhere in the black writing and then click on Copy

Go to your new document and right click at the beginning and then click on Paste.

The first chapter should now be on the new document

Repeat the process with Chapter 2 and Paste it at the end of Chapter 1

Carry on with the rest of the Chapters

Once you've done that, Save the new document

If that works, we can then sort out the consecutive page numbering
    Jackie

Comment

Many thanks, that part looks OK. I have created a test book having copied half of it now to a new folder.

So next is the numbering part this is just a function that I have needed to do before. I am using Vista. I may not be able to reply to your next post much before Sunday or Monday due to another commitment which takes me away from my PC.

Cheers,
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I don't have Word 2007 on this laptop and would have to prise my son's off him to look at it properly but there is a good guide here about page numbering (sorry about the title)

Once all your chapters are in one document, they should automatically number consecutively and the advantage of doing it this way is that if you make any changes to one chapter, all the numbering will be changed accordingly
        Jackie

Comment

Working...
        X