Quick question only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question only

Just a quick question for the Dutch people out there - Is it possible for someone who was christened as Alef to later use the name Adolphus/Adolf? I'm hoping to break down one of my brick walls, as all the dates and places fit, but I'm not sure of the name.

Thanks,

Linda;D
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi linda,
    why dutch?? Alef and Adolphus arent very duch names, or if they are, not very common. Though if it is going back to before 1900, Lots of Germans came to Holland.

tell me more maybe I can help, or think up an idea

mm

Comment

Adolph Krajenbrink was my 3Great Grandfather, and was born in Holland, possibly in Arnhem in 1752. I have managed to find details of an Alef Krajenbrink born just outside Arnhem in ca 1753. I can find no trace of Alef after he was born, and no trace of Adolf before he was married, so wondered if they might be the same person. Where they lived was close to the (current) German border.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Hi

I have found Alef b 1853

ALEF KRAJENBRINK, baptised. in Varsseveld 01.04.1753.
        Parents
        JAN KRAJENBRINK, born. ±1710.
        EVA RUESINK, born in Drimmelen

Vaarseveld is about 30km from Arnhem.

its from this family tree numbers 206/207

mm

Comment

Thanks marymog, but do you think that he is also the Adolphus Krajenbrink, who died in Arnhem aged 77 in 1819

http://www.genealogiedomein.nl/index...c_view&gid=476

That is what I am confused about.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

Yes, Alef is a variant of Adolf/Aldophus. Some more variants here: http://www.personenencyclopedie.info/A/Adl/adolf/view
            It's not widely used, but a quick Google brings up several people in Holland with the name Alef.

I haven't forgotten about your translation by the way. Will try and do that for you this weekend.
            :smilee:
            Last edited by Cloggie; 29-01-10, 14:09.
            Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, It looks very hopeful for Alef/Adolphus being the same person then. Yippee. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers :D

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Have you already found these entries on www.genlias.nl ?

Source Civil register - Marriage
                Archive location Gelders Archief
                General Number of finding aid: 0207
                Item number: 142
                Municipality: Arnhem
                Type of record: Marriage record
                Record number: 46
                Registration date: 06-06-1816
                Groom Adolph Krajenbrink
                Place of birth: Arnhem
                Bride Maria Catharina Schnitzler
                Place of birth: Orsoij, Germany
                Father groom Jan Krajenbrink
                Mother groom Geertruijda van de Weert
                Father bride Johannes Schnitzler
                Mother bride Elisabeth Greff
                Additional information groom's occupation: office assistant; bride's occupation: servant; groom's father's occupation: driver/wagonner; bride's father's occupation: none listed

Source Civil register - Death
                Archive location Gelders Archief
                General Number of finding aid: 0207
                Item number: 379
                Municipality: Arnhem
                Type of record: death
                Record number: 40
                Registration date: 01-03-1819
                Deceased Adolf Krajenbrink
                Date of death: 28-02-1819
                Place of death: Arnhem
                Father NN NN
                Mother NN NN
                Partner Anna Margaretha Jansen
                Relationship: wife
                Additional information baptised: -; age 67 years; deceased's occupation: farmer
                Sarah

Comment

The information on the paper is that Jan 40 years old who was a Carter, was the son of Adolf. Adolfs wife was Anna Margaretha Janssen, Adolf was 67 yrs old at death. The official name of Adolph was Adolphus(that would have been his name at Baptism)

Alef is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, according to dutch childrens names. So a different name from Adolf(Adolphus) though there was a law in Holland where given names had to be from a certain list, and once the name was given it was the official name, but people went by (Roepnaam) the name they were (unoficially) called. So if he was Christened Adolphus, then called Alef is a possibilty. maybe Alef wasnt a name that was considered as official.

You have an example of this phenomena, on further pages of the Krajenbrinks

Antonius called Teunis
                  Arnoldus called Arend
                  Gerhardus called Gart

although most of these are common shorter version of official names.

The Vaarsveld documents are not in this book, it is another district, though nearby.

I think maybe a different person Alef and Adolphus.(but im no expert)

mm

Comment

There are more records on www.genlias.nl mentioning Adolf Krajenbrink as the father/husband. The surname has several spelling variations though.
                    Here's the link for the English genlias page: http://www.genlias.nl/en/page0.jsp (if that doesn't work, click on "English" in the upper right corner).
                    Then click on "Searching the Genlias database" and in the search form just enter the first few letters for the names. For example, kra for the surname and ado for the forename. Then where it says "Search parameter for names", select "Begins". This will find all the names starting with Kra and Ado.
                    Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by marymog View Post
                      Alef is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, according to dutch childrens names. So a different name from Adolf(Adolphus)
                      If you google Alef Adolf site:nl , you'll find several other trees in which the names Alef and Adolf/Adolph are interchangeable.
                      Sarah

Comment

I eat my words, cloggie found it, Alef can be Adolf. there you go...good news indeed

Just an afterthought, Mister Hitler wouldnt have been amused. Adolph = Alef = the hebrew Alpha.

mm
                        Last edited by marymog; 29-01-10, 14:36.

Comment

Eet smakelijk :Wink:

I'm always amazed at how many variations there are in Dutch names, both surnames and forenames. I suppose in earlier records, a lot of it is down to whoever wrote down the names and how they interpreted what they were hearing. For example, van der Tuijn and van der Thölen in my own tree.
                          Sarah

Comment

Yep

same the world over, though the ij y being used indescriminatly in surnames is a pain. It goes back to the illiterate having to dictate their names. Go to a different area and they hear it differently
                            came across a goodn in England A Mr Orchard moved county and was written as Harchard.:D

I cant even pronounce my surname still after 35 years. when I first came here, I couldnt pronounce my address either.try saying Logger 88 as an address.:D

mm

Comment

Thanks Sarah and marymog for your help. I had found that info Sarah - The younger Adolf was my 3rd GGf, and the grandson of Adolphus (Who in fact was my 5th G Gf, made a mistake earlier). I hadn't noticed (understood) that he was an office assistant tho, thanks for that. Interesting marriage - he was 18, she was 40 - older than her father in law!

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Poor you having to pronounce that address when you first lived here! My OH has been struggling with the word "sneeuw" this season. It keeps coming out sounding like posh "snow" (or "sneu"). :Big Grin:

True it is the same in other countries as well, although I do find there are more forename variations in the Dutch side of my tree. Johanna/Joanna/Jannetje for example, or the Antonius/Antonie/Teunis example you mentioned above. And of course there are so many ways of spelling the same sounds in Dutch: ij/eij/y/ey/ei, aa/ae, ui/uij/uy, etc.

At least it keeps us on our toes with creative searching! :smilee:
                                Sarah

Comment

Jeah that mucking about with names makes life fun.

Recently buried a bloke from the football club, his name was Cees. On the tombstone he is Cornelius. My inlaws gave their kids short names like Tom, Joost and Coen, you cant muck about with them. Proably the reason behind their choice.

Ive managed to get my tonsils around most of the dutch sounds, but for the life of me, cannot hear or pronounce the difference between deur and duur unless I concentrate.

Oh well off to cook dinner, we are eating Hache with mash.

mm

Comment

Working...
                                  X