Windowsn 7 so many hipcups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windowsn 7 so many hipcups

Sorry I wasn't sure whether to put this in Computer or software threads, as its a bit of both.... well my windows 7 is giving me many hipcups, can't connect the printer or the scanner as they are for XP. that another story. I have just had to buy the new FTM 2010, as FTM 2006 is no good on windows 7....anyway I have downloaded FTM 2010, I have tried to register it, nope it won't let me do that, so I thought I would do it later, I can use FTM 2010 Ok, but keep getting this annonying box popping up saying " Authentication with serve failed"....can't seem to get rid of it, any ideas...I have tried from the help bar to registed and all I get is ' To register at a later date select the Register Family tree maker, link from the link menu, if I click on the help button to register it, all In get is a new window with a blank screen.......getting feb up with all of this now lol...wish I stayed withn xp....althought I do like windows 7... ...any ideas how to register please......Lilly...

Which antivirus program are you using Lilly. I know there are sometimes problems with registering the product when Norton is installed.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine, I am using a free McAfee one at the moment, won't dare use a norton one, it killed my computer, many moons ago lol....I will see if I can switch it off and take it from there....not sure it is that.. but here gooooooo....lol....thanks ...Lilly

Comment

Lilly, if you are still having problems it might be worth posting on the FTM online forum.
        Research Family Tree Maker: Installation in the General forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum!

There is a resident "expert" - Russ Worthington - who is very helpful. He is on American time zone so you may have to wait for him to reply.
        Elaine

Comment

I have Windows 7 and McAfee and I registered FTM 2010 with no problems, so I'm not sure that's the problem.

With your printer and scanner, I changed from XP at Christmas and had the same problem. If you go to the printer and scanner manufacturer's websites there should be a download that enables you to use them on Windows 7. I have a Samsung printer and Canon scanner and did this with both - it was easy to do
          Jackie

Comment

Just got a new computer with Windows 7. Am able to use FTM 2006, had to download a patch (I think thats what it's called) from the FTM site. As I did not do the fiddling about myself can't say how easy it was but as the air around my OH did not turn blue presume it was not too bad!

Comment

**Elaine** thats a good idea I will give that a try, thank you for your time I dare say I will be back lol...

**Night Owl....sounds a bit odd, doesn't it that I can't register FTM 2010, I know I had the same problem years ago when I bought FTM 2006, can't remember how I solved it then..Lol good idea about going on to my scanner and printers web site, I do have the CD's for them, but of course they are only for XP!!!thanks I will try that..

**Modem**I changed at Christmas from XP, I wonder if you changed from vista, as that is the only Patch FTM has, and it just doesn't work, I have heard other say the same.thanks anyway, do you like windows 7? I think its rather good, if I could just sort this out thanks.

thanks everyone, I will now go and try 'solve' my problem ,... I hope .......Lilly

Comment

Lilly, I know you're having internet connection problems. Could that be why you can't register? I expect the program wants to access the internet to register you.

Anne

Comment

could be lots of reasons was there any more to the message" authorisation with the server failed.....? please also check your pc time is correct if not correct the time and then reboot then try again.

Regards
                  Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Hi** Ann**....Internet seem OK the last 36 hours (fingers crossed) but I did check on FTM 2010 on the 'File' and its says that I am on Line.....so guess it can't be that....I have had Cloggies and Elaine helping me and it seems now that it may be my settings, I bought the laptop 3 weeks ago in the USA, I am in the UK...It seems that when the laptop was set up, it was obviously set to USA setting not the UK's ...so I just have to find out how to do that and I should be OK!!! I hope.....Lilly

**Rbere*....No there isn't any more on the message, if I click on the 'help' box on FTM 2010 and try to register, all I get is a blank box.....or a message saying ' to register at a later date select Register Family tree maker, link from the help menu"....madness.....lol....think it might well be the setting, so I will have a play around and do what you suggest, many thanks....love your picture ...Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                      Sorry I wasn't sure whether to put this in Computer or software threads, as its a bit of both.... well my windows 7 is giving me many hipcups, can't connect the printer or the scanner as they are for XP. that another story. I have just had to buy the new FTM 2010, as FTM 2006 is no good on windows 7....anyway I have downloaded FTM 2010, I have tried to register it, nope it won't let me do that, so I thought I would do it later, I can use FTM 2010 Ok, but keep getting this annonying box popping up saying " Authentication with serve failed"....can't seem to get rid of it, any ideas...I have tried from the help bar to registed and all I get is ' To register at a later date select the Register Family tree maker, link from the link menu, if I click on the help button to register it, all In get is a new window with a blank screen.......getting feb up with all of this now lol...wish I stayed withn xp....althought I do like windows 7... ...any ideas how to register please......Lilly...
                      Hi Lilly
                      I had a program which wouldn't work on windows 7 although worked perfectly on xp & someone on a help line suggested the following
                      Click Control panel, system & security, find & fix problems, programs, run program made for previous version of windows - then follow the prompts
                      It got the program working although I still have to "round the houses" for part of it which I can live with.
                      hope this helps
                      Expat in Oz
                      I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

Hi Lily

The keyboard is in US mode. To change it to UK

close all programs

Control Panel / Regional & Languages / On the first page at the top change the drop down to English (UK) / In the location tab change the Location to United Kingdom / in keyboard and language tab change keyboards and select English / and OK

Maybe changing your location ? will allow you to register.

Regards
                        Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

"**Modem**I changed at Christmas from XP, I wonder if you changed from vista, as that is the only Patch FTM has, and it just doesn't work, I have heard other say the same.thanks anyway, do you like windows 7? I think its rather good, if I could just sort this out thanks."

Hi - just caught up. OH says we had XP. Unfortunately he can't remember how he did it but thinks he used the Vista patch and the instructions from FTM help page and if it had been painful he would have remembered every detail! So far, touchwood, seems to be working ok.

PS he has just found the download he used.

Last edited by modem; 03-02-10, 18:48.

Comment

Working...
                          X