Anyone know Co Mayo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know Co Mayo?

Still trying to get any indication, however small, as to where OH's gt gt grandparents came from.

The nearest I've got so far is "Co Mayo" on the 1911 census, for gt gt granny's birthplace. (Gt Gt granddad is dead by then, but they married in Ireland so I assume they were probably from the same area)

However, she is living in a street in Leigh, Lancs, with several other Irish families, who are all from Co Mayo. What's the betting these families knew each other back in Ireland?
    (Should probably add here that this family came over in the early 1860's, and have had several different addresses in different parts of Lancashire, all round the Wigan/Leigh area. Some of these other Irish families are much younger, so I don't think they could all have come over together)

Anyway, one of them says she's from Claremosses. I can't find this, and wondered whether its really Claremorris?
    Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Vicky

Could be Claremorris my m-i-l came from there
    PAT

Comment

In answer to your first question. Extended families in Ireland are very large and they have long memories. They can be a bit clannish in the best sense of the word. It wouldn't surprise me if the other familiese from the same part of Mayo. Poverty in Ireland was widespread and much worse in the west of Ireland. Many people travelled from Mayo to Sligo to the USA, others to Dublin and Liverpool, so Lancashire was just in their back yard.

Clairemorris is certainly a good starting point although I haven't any experience of finding families in Irelands. Perhaps someone else can help with that one.

Good luck Ayse

Comment

This is a good site for finding townlands, parishes, etc., in Ireland: http://www.seanruad.com/

It lists a barony in Mayo called Clanmorris, a poor law union called Claremorris, and a townland called Claremount.
        Sarah

Comment

i think janet is the irish expert here, but i would say start with that town, like researching available parish records, when they start, that kind of thing.

Comment

Have you got a marriage certificate with father's name? I would look at the 1911 Irish Census and put the name/surname in and Co Mayo and see what comes up. Hopefully family or rellies will come up

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
              Have you got a marriage certificate with father's name? I would look at the 1911 Irish Census and put the name/surname in and Co Mayo and see what comes up. Hopefully family or rellies will come up
              they were all in Lancs by 1911

... and I would think their parents were long dead by then, as they will probably have been born in the 1820's.

I don't have the marriage cert, as we aren't sure when & where they were married (but Mayo in the 1860's is our best guess so far)

still, at last I think we might have somewhere to start looking...
              Vicky

Comment

Hubby's gt grandfather came from Co Mayo & ended up in Widnes Lancs & his gg grandparents on the other side came from Co Mayo as well & they ended up in Flint North Wales. There are a lot of them about!
                Lynn

Comment

Working...
                X