Mr. Stan. Thomson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Stan. Thomson

I am researching my paternal grandathers (Samuel Nelson Thomson) family and in particular one of his brothers Alexander. Family tradition has it that Alexander Thomson wrote the words and music of the well known song "I'm Twenty One Today" using the psdeudo name Alec Kendal. My brother and I would dearly like to establish the truth of this. I Have been intouch with The Australian National Library who confirmed that the words and music of the song were indeed written by an Alec Kendal and published in in Melbourne Australia by The Stanley Mullen Company (1912)circa 1911.

My grandfathers parents had eight children one of whom was named Alexander and according to the national census of 1888 they resided at Eastlake Drive, Everton, Liverpool, U.K.

Any help with the way forward in my quest would be deeply appreciated .

Welcome to FTF, Stan

I'll have a quick look on Ancestry in a mo', but I assume that
    and according to the national census of 1888 they resided at Eastlake Drive, Everton, Liverpool, U.K.
    actually refers to 1881, rather than 1891?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a likely-looking family here:
      RG11; Piece: 3665; Folio: 26; Page: 46
      at 34 Eastlake St, Everton

Many of the family were born in either Ireland or Scotland - which will certainly present a bit of a challenge!

There is also a couple there (67 & 60) described as "Grandfather" and "Grandmother (surname BALLINTYNE), but I suspect that they were actually parents of Isabella (40), the wife of the Head, Samuel (43).

The Scottish bit may mean that it will be worth buying some credits for ScotlandsPeople website. You may find useful info on the LDS beta familysearch site, because they have quite a few Irish records on there from civil registration.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-01-10, 15:55.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Stan

I found this forum that has an enquiry about Alexander Burns Thomson AKA Alec Kendal.

I don't know if its anything to do with you, but if not it may have some more information that you weren't aware of
        Jackie

Comment

Perhaps they really are grandparents, and there were two very young-age marriages...

IGI batch 115731 for High Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland
          seems to have the first three children's baptisms (19 FEB 1863, 7 DEC 1864 and 6 JAN 1867), but the parents' names are given as Samuel THOMSON and Isabella BLACKWOOD.

Christine

Comment

There's a death for Mary BALLANTYNE, age 65, in 1886 in West Derby...
            ... and for John BALLINTYNE, age 72, in 1888, also n West Derby.

Christine

Comment

There's an 1862 marriage for Samuel THOMSON & Isabella BLACKWOOD on the IGI:
              6 JUN 1862 Tradeston, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
              Batch M119331

Christine

Comment

I think that John and Mary BALLANTYNE are here: Parish: Glasgow St George; ED: 47; Page: 16
                in 1871.

Ancestry has only the transcription, so you'd need to have a look at the image on ScotlandsPeople to be sure, but the ages look right.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine. Many thanks for the info. The quest goes on

Comment

Hi Jackie, Many thanks for the info. The quest goes on

Comment

There's some info about Samuel Nelson Thomson & Isabella Blackwood and family here: http://blackwoodfh.com/p29.htm#i971

He's also mentioned here: http://www.irishgenealogy.net/cp/php...hp?f=44&t=1903
                      And this thread mentions a Samuel Nelson Thomson born c1853 and a William Blackwood Thomson born c1877: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...topic=331341.0
                      Sarah

Comment

Hello Stan. I've sent you a private message with further information on this. Cynfran

Comment

HI Jackie,
                          I followed up on this with the Liverpool Records Office (spent four hours there) and found the documents unfruitful as they were just receipts for the proceeds of Saturday afternoon Charity shows at The Olympia Theatre in aid of 'The League Of Welldoers 'in support of very poor Liverpool children.

Many thanks for your lead anyway
                          Stan. Thomson

Comment

Hello Walter. As I am a stranger to ancestry research (and not computer literate) I don't know my way about with all this. I gather you sent me a private message but I don't know how to access it.Please give me a quick ring by phone telephone number removed for privacy reasons and I will call you back .
                            Thanks
                            Stan.
                            Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 03-03-10, 13:55. Reason: Protection of member's privacy

Comment

Hi Stan,

I'm sorry but I've had to remove your phone number in the above post to protect your privacy. We have a membership on this site of approaching 10,000 members and I cannot guarantee that the information will not be mis-used.

To access your personal message juct click on 'notifications' at the very top of this screen on the right. Then click on 'inbox' from the drop down list, where you will find your message listed. Click on this to read - there is a box on there to respond.

Please let me know on this thread if you are still have problems accessing it after following these instructions.

Regards,

Velma

Comment

Thanks Velma. I just hope that Stan now manages to access the message. Cynfran

Comment

I may be able to help with your enquiries. 'Alec Kendal' was my great uncle on my mothers side. He was certainly from Liverpool, and his real surname was Thomson. I have some information on his career, but little on dates & addresses. I do have bills for a wedding, I think of his sister, my great grandmother, with bills sent to Mr James Mahon, of 84 St Domingo Vale, Everton, in August 1887. My mother was taken to see him as a young girl by her grandmother, and although in her 90s she may be able to shed further light on this.

Comment

Working...
                                  X