Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did g.grandad emigrate to wales ( god's country)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did g.grandad emigrate to wales ( god's country)

I have my g/grandfather pretty well researched from his birth in Islington, London in 1874 to his death in Llanelli in 1938. But I have puzzled how in the 1891 census he turns up as a farm servant in llannon, near Llanelli. In the 1881 census he was living in Shoreditch, london, with his family. No doubt conditions were pretty bleak but to move to a farm which according to the census he would be the only english speaker and the home had less than five rooms reminds me of frying pans and fires.
    I noticed that on the same 1891 census page that another young man aged 16 is employed on a nearby farm as a servant , and he also came from London.
    Perhaps there is someone in the forum who has a knowledge of the social history of london at that time and could guess why.
    Is it possible that there was some agency ? recruiting young men to move to the green green grass of wales with false promises. My g/grandfather though quickly found work in one of the many tin works in Lanelli and raised eight children.

Thanks verjon
Working...
X