Half a census page cut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half a census page cut off

On findmypast the image of the 1851 census page I wanted only shows the right hand side (from Age of females column), and even that is very black and hard to read. Would anyone be able to look at this on another site for me please?

Names: William Trenchard age 77, Susan Trenchard age 70, Susan Trenchard age 37
    HO107/1928/287/1
    Somerset/Chard/Crewkerne/5B

I think they are at the bottom of the page. I would particularly like to check senior Susan's age and junior Susan's relationship. Also there are more Trenchards over the page (a son I think) but I'm not sure if they are part of the same household.

Thanks.
    Laurence.

Hi Laurence, I think Susan senior says 60 or 80, the first number looks nothing like a 2 or 7 like others on the page, can't quite read it though, Susan junior is their daughter (unmarried), again her age could be 27 or 37, looks more like other 2's the enumerator has written rather than a 3.

Comment

Hi there,

The image is v clear on ancestry. Susan sr is indexed as aged 20 but the image is scored through with a clerks check mark. I think it is in fact 80, but a second pair of eyes would be useful. Susan jr is listed as daughter. The Trenchards over the page are not part of the same household.

HTH
      Kate xx

Comment

I see what you mean about the FMP image. I reported the problem in case you hadn't.

They're at Hinton Mills.
        William, 77, b Yarcombe, Devon, carrier
        Susan, wife, 80 (I think - the enumerator's mark masks it badly, and it's transcribed as 20!), b Lopen, Somerset
        Susan, daur, 27, b Hinton St George, Somerset.

The family over the page purports to be a separate household, but doesn't really have a different address, just a new Head.
        William, 35, b Hinton St George, ag lab
        Lucy, wife, 35, b Kingston, Somerset
        Susan Ann, 4, scholar
        Rose Ann, 3
        Hanah Mary, 1
        all children b Hinton St George, and "Hanah" really has only one "n".

Christine

All transcribed from the census image of which the copyright is held by The National Archives.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On the next page there is a William Trenchard and family, living at the 'same address': Hinton Mills, Hinton St George, but William says Head so it is a different household if you see what I mean?!

Comment

Snap Christine, thats what I was trying to say about the households!

Comment

There certainly seems to be a consensus (perhaps, in this context, that should be "concensus"! ;) ) on the ages and households.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's brilliant. Thanks everyone for such a quick response.

I suspect Susan junior may be 37 if her mother is 80 (I have a birth year for mother as 1774 but that still makes her about 76). She is not among the children I already have recorded.

So William is down as a carrier? In the fmp transcription he is a cordwainer.

Comment

Yes Laurence, you're right, the image clearly says carrier, but not of what!

Comment

Originally posted by Kate P View Post
                    Yes Laurence, you're right, the image clearly says carrier, but not of what!
                    A carrier is the equivalent of today's white van man. Just a man with a horse and cart.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                    X