Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1861: Whitechapel Lodging house - 99 lodgers and no one in charge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861: Whitechapel Lodging house - 99 lodgers and no one in charge!

My ancestor was a stone sawyer (James Butcher b1818 Pancras) and staying there.

In 1851 he was lodging in Southwark as a sawyer's lab. His father was a stone mason in Pancras.

I worked in Whitechapel in the early seventies and there was a lot of deprivation there then.

Next to the address of ?1 Osborn Place are the initials ? LLH which I take to mean Licensed Lodging House?

Do you know exactly what a stone sawyer is?

Here is the link to p 1 of the census image on Ancestry. Mainly men of all different trades but a few women. Wonder what their lives (esp the women's) were like living there.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...s+Butcher&cr=1
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-01-10, 19:12.
    Liz

this tells you what he did

Comment

Thanks Val. Guess they did it by hand in those days, without the modern machinery?
      Liz

Comment

must have been a horrible job

Comment

He ended up in West Ham Union Workhouse in 1871...just trying to find my way round Ancestry's new layout to try and access Workhouse records. Elaine showed me before they changed but that was to access Pancras workhouse...
          Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            must have been a horrible job
            He probably got stone dust in his lungs, which would have shortened his life.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thats what I was thinking Uncle John, I recently found a family of mine were Celluloid Box makers ,I would imagine that did not do their lungs much good either.

Comment

Can you tell me how you look up a particular workhouse on Ancestry please? I can't find a facility for that. Or can't I see for looking?

Kathy

Comment

Kathy - I have just gone back into the thread where Elaine gave me the links to St Pancras Workhouse records on Ancestry (only recently before they changed the layout). They don't work now...

Can I suggest you put up a new thread on Research Questions here about accessing them on Ancestry...I have been a bit greedy recently with posts on here.

Uncle John - I found a death record for my man on BMD in West Ham in Apr q 1871 - looks like he went in there because he was ill.

Like the rest of his family, looks like he had to move out of Somers Town and Pancras because of the railway expansion. The ones who went to Tottenham fared better than him, although his gt neice and her children were in Pancras Workhouse in 1867/8.

Makes you appreciate the NHS, despite all its failings...
                  Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 26-01-10, 23:38.
                  Liz

Comment

Thanks, Liz. I'm looking for a workhouse in Kington St Michael, Wiltshire.

Kathy

Comment

Kathy - there is info about that workhouse on this website - just type in the name of the workhouse and the page comes up:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Sorry if you already have this...
                      Liz

Comment

Ah, no I don't have this, thank you very much, I'll try that.

Kathy

Comment

That Whitechapel lodging house, it could have been what was known as Penny Lodgins. They were rows of beds rented per night for a penny or tuppence. The beds were also shared, I suppose for half the price

mm

Comment

Mary - I bet you are right. Was just googling and found this site about Victorian slang among the 'lower' classes:

http://www.tlucretius.net/Sophie/Cas...ian_slang.html
                            Liz

Comment

Liz

Its like a foreign language, I recognised one or two, but mainly the rhyming slang. They used rhyming slang when I was a kid, many words I thought were real till I got big, and its amazing, Ive even passed some on to my kids without realising....like telling them to use their loaf.

mm

Comment

I was brought up in London, Mary, and I know that one too. Just been reading this account of life in Whitechapel in the 1870s:

http://www.victorianlondon.org/publi...grimage-18.htm
                                Liz

Comment

In Bermondsey they even had their own language, cant remember what its called now but apparently it started with the criminals who would come to southwark to claim sanctuary at the cathedral. Mum could do it and I would wonder what she was chatting about to people. I spose it was a bit like speaking french when you dont want the kids to know what you are talking about

Comment

Heather, was it another variation of Rhyming Slang like apples and pears for stairs, etc.
                                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                                    X