A Christening Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christening Question

I've found the baptism of twins in 1865; their mother was unmarried and the officiating priest has written "Private Form Used" as a note to the baptism record.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? Was there a private baptism ceremony to save the mother embarrassment? Or was there some sort of special paperwork involved?

Thanks,
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Private baptisms (done anywhere and by anyone baptised themselves) often equated with emergency baptisms, when the child was in danger of dying.
    Twins were often small and of a low birth weight, and so at risk.
    Sadly, a look at the burial register often shows a very short life indeed for some twins.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      Private baptisms (done anywhere and by anyone baptised themselves) often equated with emergency baptisms, when the child was in danger of dying.
      Twins were often small and of a low birth weight, and so at risk.
      Sadly, a look at the burial register often shows a very short life indeed for some twins.

Jay
      That's interesting, thank you. I'm happy to report that the twins lived long enough to get married...
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Originally posted by Somerset Sal View Post
        That's interesting, thank you. I'm happy to report that the twins lived long enough to get married...
        but not to each other, one hopes.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X