Isle of Man 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Man 1851

Hi there, I am pretty new at all of this and have a question about the Isle of Man during the 1851 Census (I hope this is the right place, apologies if not).

Does anyone know of an insitution that existed at the time, in Conchan or Onchan, Douglas? We have traced my father's line back to 1771 and in 1851, my GGG Grandfather is listed as a worker in what appears to be some kind of insitution or asylum according to the Census ... many of the people also listed are down as 'infirm', 'inmate', 'idiot' 'nurse' etc. I have typed everything I can think of into search engines but can find no mention of such a place, just an asylum built some time after 1851 and the use of Castle Rushen earlier in the century.

Thanks for any info anyone can give.

SL

Welcome to Family Tree Forum!

You might be able to get the details from the description of the enumeration district.
    If you would like to give me the details of the person I'll have a look for you - and if I find anything will explain how!
    Elaine

Comment

Not the House of Industry is it?
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you for your fast replies!

The name is John Beck, born in Co.Down in about 1776 (not 1771, sorry!) died Braddan, Isle of Man Septmber 1856. He appears on the IOM 1841 and 1851 Census, as a widower and labourer.

Comment

Does it not give the address/name of the institution at the top of the page, or if you page backwards to the beginning of the schedule?

It does seem most likely to be the workhouse though.

OC

Comment

It gives the location as "House of Industry" on the transcription page on Ancestry.

The description of the enumeration doesn't give any more detail.
            For info - to view enumeration details go the the main 1851 Isle of Man census page, click here
            On the right hand side of the page you will see a heading of Browse this Collection.
            Civil Parish - choose Conchan
            On the drop down listing for Enumeration district, scroll down to the last one which is House of Industry, and then click on view description of enumeration district.
            Sometimes you will find a useful description of the area covered by the census - but in this case it is just the one location - the House of Industry (workhouse).
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X