Lineage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineage

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to set up my lineage (numbered ? I can only do it manually - there must be an easier way. I use Family Tree Maker and Legacy, not sure if they have what I want.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

I don't understand what you are hoping to do. It is possible to produce ancestors reports numbered by generation on FTM maker, I can't comment on legacy.
    I was in your neck of the woods last week - it's beautiful.

All the best

Comment

Not sure what you're looking for but if you go to 'reports' in FTM click 'genealogy report' and that prodecs a report from the person you are 'in' at the time numbered from them as 1 so if you wanted it from your earliest ancestor go to them in family view then click reports, genealogy report and that will give you a numbered list.
      Margaret

Comment

I wouldn't even attempt to number the people in my tree. One bit I did recently had a cat's-cradle of multiple marriages of siblings and cousins.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Actually I dont think I meant them to be automatically given a number right through the site. I just wanted to be able to say to someone I am descended from jo blow to the next to the next to the next - but number them with a small number to show how many generations. In one of my american/canadian lineages, the family names have been handed down so many times, I have trouble finding anyone after my ggrandfather. It would nice to have something printed out which says just where I'm from. Hope this makes sense

Comment

If you ask for a descendant tree on FTM it numbers all the descendants starting at 1 for the person you start with. It also indents each successive generation and refers back to all their ancestors..
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes UJ - I knew that - but I didnt need wives and siblings, just me, my father, my grandfather, my great grandfather etc. (but thanks)

Comment

Jood

Are you talking about ahnentafel numbers? If so, I don't think it is possible to generate these automatically on FTM, although I haven't tried myself, I must admit.

If you have a tree on Tribal Pages, it is possible to do different colours for different descendants - I have mine marked for blood relatives and that saves a lot of faffing about wondering if I have a blood relationship with someone on the tree or if they are just a married in!

OC

Comment

OC - I have one tree on Tribal - I'll put the others on. I did do one manually which will show what I want, I just thought there'd be an easier way to do it.

Me 6 Jean Westlake Burgess5 1909, James William4 1880, William Charles3 1852 6 Charles2 1814 Charles1 Burgefs

As you can see I am the 6th generation here. I wanted the numbers to be elevated as in a foot note? Obviously its something you can only do manually.
                  When anyone asks me how I am related, I mentally get up to great grandfather and forget from there on.

Comment

Working...
                  X