Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1813 London - first name of Waterer. Anyone come across this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1813 London - first name of Waterer. Anyone come across this before?

Or do you think the person saying the name had a strong accent or speech impediment and meant Walter?

It is on both his bap and burial entries on Ancestry London baps and burials.
    Liz

there are quite a few with that first name on Ancestry

Comment

Looks as though his parents were William Woods and Sarah Waterer, who married in Marylebone in 1799.

Comment

Mary - bless you! I had decided the marriage was between my ancestor, William Woods and Sarah Winterton. They married on 21/3/1803 St Stephen Coleman St. How clever of you to find him without a surname...How have you got the mother's surname? Just scooting back to see which records I saved on that one...

UPDATE: Just found the Pallots entry for the marriage with Sarah Waterer. Two good things.
        1. the date allows for the birth of Mary Ann Woods in about 1800 (City of London as b/pl on census). Not been able to find a bap for her. Her younger sibs been bap at St Giles Cripplegate and St Stephen Coleman St.
        2.my Wm Woods named his second daughter Maria, which is name of one of the names of the witnesses to the Waterer marriage. Thos Wood is the other witness.

Off to search baps Marylebone for my 2 missing ones:

Mary Ann b about 1800
        and Maria b about 1804 or 5.

They all say on census that their b/place is City of London. Marylebone comes under Middx.
        Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 28-01-10, 13:15.
        Liz

Comment

I just had a look on the London baptisms, marriages and burials for anyone with Waterer as a Christian name, and he came up in 1813, which is the date you gave in your first post.

As Waterer's a very unusual name, and surnames are sometimes used as first and middle names, I checked the LMA marriages to see if there was a marriage between a Woods and a Waterer, and that one came up.

You'll find it here:

Comment

Mary - thank you. I had just found and saved that one. I can't find Mary Ann b1800 or Maria b1804/5 in Marylebone baps. That would have clinched it was the right couple. All the older children from baps 1811 were at St Stephen and one in 1809 at St Giles Cripplegate. I have given myself a migraine going through the Cripplegate page by page and Mary Ann and Maria were not there - at least on the pages I searched.

I already know so much more than I did about the Woods, maybe this is where I put them to bed...which is where I am going soon. Night night.
            Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 25-01-10, 20:44.
            Liz

Comment

Mary - found Mary Ann Woods through Batch Nos St Giles Cripplegate:

Mary Ann Woods Birth: 25/12/1799 Chr: 30/7/1809 St Giles Cripplegate Parents: Wm & Sarah Woods.

She was born on Christmas Day! Bap with her sister Eleanor in 1809. This along with naming their last son Waterer, points to the marriage in Marylebone being the most likely. Just Mary to find now...
              Liz

Comment

Working...
              X