Old Occupation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Occupation.

I found this occupation on the 1901 Scottish Census.

Joiner Daudweaker.

I searched Google, but I cant find what a Daudweaker is:

Could it have any thing to do with the Funeral business or could it just be a spelling error.

Looking forward to your views

regards

Tralena

Hi - could it be Dagmaker - Maker of pistols - http://scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

or Dagmaker - Mitten maker (usually for fishermen) - not sure how that's related to the Joiner part though -

Might be Gaelic - daud turns up as a word (but also as David)

Comment

Tralena

Having suffered at the hands of Ancestry Scottish mistranscriptions myself, I bet you anything you like it doesn't say Daudweaker! Without seeing the original it is just a guess of course, but I wonder if it should be Chairmaker.

Is the image available on SP?

OC

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, they are giving me a much needed smile, and any one of them could be right....you really do need to think outside the box when it comes to family history.

I got the Census from the Ancestry website (so much for 'World Coverage' lol), I am unable to view the original.

Thank you for reminding me I can do it via SP (Scotlands People).

Regards and happy hunting to you all

Tralena

PS. Took another look at Daudweaker....and I think you've hit it on the nail Olde Crone Holden, the last part of the word 'weaker' can be misspelt to MAKER. If you think about it, who would want to employ a Joiner that makes his goods weaker !!!!!! lol

As soon as I can I'll let you know what the original says.
        Last edited by Tralena; 25-01-10, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
        X