City of London marriage - help needed to find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of London marriage - help needed to find

I have been searching all the London databases (I think...can't see wood for trees at moment as been trawling through parish baptism registers too).

Can anyone cast some fresh eyes on this? Need to find first husband's death if poss and the second marriage to Mr Barker.

MARIA WOODS Birth: From census, about 1804/5 City of London

Bap: Not in St Stephen, Coleman St where some of her later sibs bap.
    One sib in 1809 was bap in St Giles Cripplegate.
    (Have trawled through Cripplegate from Dec 1803- May 05 - nil)

Marr 1: to James Joseph Carr on 17/7/1824 St Andrew Upshaft, London

Marr 2: Barker She is a widow by this name in census 1861.

Death: BMD 03/1880 I of Wight, Hampshire.

Her sister named her son born 26/5/1840 at Pancras: James Carr Butcher. Wonder if this was to honour his memory and he had died by this date?

I have searched for Maria Carr/Barker in 1841 and 1851 census.

1841 but wife named Mary not Maria so not sure this is them:

James Carr b1801 Profession looks like Shoe m…
    Mary Carr 30 b1811

Civil parish: St Dunstan in The West Hundred: London Without the Walls
    Reg district: West London Sub-reg district: South

I have Maria's siblings baps, marriages etc except for her sister Mary A(nn) Woods born about 1800 City of London.

I thought I had the right marriage for her parents:

William (James?) Woods and Sarah Winterton (widow) on 21/3/1803 at St Stephen Coleman St.

BUT notice Mary Ann's birth year (declared on census) is earlier than this. Could she be a child of Sarah's first marriage and just took the name of Woods? The same perhaps for Maria? Can't find either of their baps.

On all the baps of the children, the parents are William and Sarah Woods.

Maria is with her sister from 1861 and accounted for.
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 24-01-10, 13:56.
    Liz

I've found this

I can't see the image Ancestry is playing up but as you spotted them in 1841 doubtful its James burial.

Comment

Hi Maggie - thanks for looking at this. That link won't be him as they didn't get married until 1824...
      Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
        Hi Maggie - thanks for looking at this. That link won't be him as they didn't get married until 1824...
        Well apart from the 1841 census you may have spotted them on. He could have died 3 years after marrying its not impossible.

Death date is 1827. Yes it probably isn't him but not because of the dates.

Comment

Sorry Maggie - I confused his birth year with death year...my head is swimming! The 1841 census is doubtful because it has her name as Mary.
          Liz

Comment

Here's a Maria Carr c1801 in 1841 census HO107; Piece 682; Book: 15; Civil Parish: St Pancras; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 15; Folio: 12; Page: 19; Line: 12; GSU roll: 438798.
            Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret...will check if I have that one.
              Liz

Comment

Working...
              X