Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 England census - help with facts on image please

This is the entry:

1891 Susan E Saville b1860 Great Dunmow, Essex. Single. Relation: Housekeeper.
    Son: Arthur W Berry 8 Transcribed as Davis.
    Dau: Ethel P Berry 5

2 St Helen’s Place. Civil par: Tottenham Ecc parish: Trinity Middx
    Reg district: Edmonton Sub-reg district: Tottenham
    ED, institution: 22

Household at No 1 St Helen’s Place:

William H Davis 69
    Mary Davis 72
    Mary A Davis 42
    Edward Downing 26

The transcriber has assumed:

1. The children in No 2 belong to the family at No 1 and has called them Davis. I think their name reads as Berry or something similar. They look to be part of Susan's family and are her illigitimate or adopted children? Or the relationship has been written incorrectly?

2. Can you read what it says in the occupation part of Susan Saville's entry?

3. Her relationship is Housekeeper. How does the transcriber know it is to No 1 she is housekeeper to and not No 3? She is in a separate numbered house.

I have to be away from puter now for a good while so can I leave you with this? Many thanks
    Liz

Arthur and Ethel Berry appear to be son and daughter to Susan. I know is says Susan is single, but was Saville her maiden name?

Occupation for Susan is Cook Domestic Servant - written as Cook domes serv.

Re her being listed as Housekeeper - one possibility is that the head of household was not at the address on census night - but also that Arthur and Ethel are children to the head of household rather than Susan.
    Elaine

Comment

1901 census - Susan Saville listed with the Berry family!

Class: RG13; Piece: 258; Folio: 124; Page: 2.
      Elaine

Comment

Well solved Elaine! I will put a corrective comment on the 1891 census on Ancestry. I am trawling Susan Savil(l)(le) in the hope I can find the witness to a marriage in 1897 Edmonton, Enfield, Middx. Many thanks.
        Liz

Comment

I think you will find that Susan was a relative.

Dec 1880 Warren Charles Berry married Phoebe Savill in Holborn. Phoebe seems to have been born March 1861 in Dunmow.

Mary Savill married Alfred Chandler Dec 1869 in Dunmow.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

How about this one - Susan Savill - Dec 1859 Dunmow (there are 2 in the same quarter.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Susan & Phobe were possibly cousins. Phoebe's father was Charles, fishmonger from her marriage cert.
              Susan's father possibly Abijar or similar spelling.
              Moggie

Comment

Thanks Chrissie and Maud...will log all this in my Saville Shoebox. I might start a new thread to ask for any help with my elusive Savilles...need to get my head round what I have got already
                Liz

Comment

Working...
                X