Buried in the church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buried in the church

Sorry if i don't come back straight away, using a library pooter at the minute.

Just wondering if someone is buried inside a church does that mean they were way up in the local community. I have a distant twig that were connected to a manor house in Notts and the couple are buried (1880's) in a church some distance away. The name is quite well documented in the county but this couple in particular are not mentioned often.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

if someone is buried inside a church does that mean they were way up in the local community.
    That's what I've always been lead to believe Glen but someone else might know better.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I think it usually does Glen. Can you give us the names as I'm in Notts and may have heard of them.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thomas Blagg married to Grace Goulson. The MI listings for the family mention Car Colston Manor for the Blagg family and the couple are buried inside St John the Baptist at Collingham.

I haven't got full access to my tree at the minute so names and dates are being dug up from my outdated TribalPages site for now.

Have to run, my time is up.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Yes, they will have been important TO THE CHURCH, lol.

I have one or two buried in the chancel and they were either gentry (obvious) or lesser gentry but had been financially good to the particular church. One had been a churchwarden as well for all his adult life, a remnant of having come from a County family.

You can be sure they didn't lift the chancel floor for just any old TD or H, though.

OC

OC

Comment

I haven't heard the names Glen but they aren't exactly local. I could go and take a photo though if it would help. It would have to be February now though as hubby's panto is on at the end of Jan and he is really busy at the moment. Also, I would need to check when the church will be open. Unfortunately these days they tend to lock them when nobody is around.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

most of my early holders were burried in the church as they were ministers and land owners of were the church was brenda xxx

Comment

Being buried inside the church was usually an indicator either of high social status, or of someone who'd worked hard for the church. The close to the chancel, the greater the honour.
                Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thanks for the replies, i'm not too far from the church so i can probably have a nose around. Still not sure of the connection to the church as the Blagg family were Screveton and Car Colston area but quite a well to do family from what i have seen.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                  X