Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a brick wall please William Makey

Hi everyone, I seem to be struggling with my Makey line,

I have a William Makey circa 1813 - 1897 born at Eythorne Kent Married a Mary Wickens (1814 - 1892) in Reigate Surrey in the July quarter of 1846, they had 6 children.

My problem is I cannot seem to find any records to go back to his (or her) parents / siblings. Now I am aware of family members and others that have made connections, and whilst not questioning their research at all I would like to be able to see the evidence myself so that I am fully happy with it as it in some aspects contradicts verbal information I was given years ago by a family elder (no longer living).

IS anyone able to help me? It is frustrating as all other branches I have been able to get back much further, I don't know if it is just a problem with Kentish records in that they are rather hit and miss in what is available. I do know most of teh family were based around Eythorne, ELham, and Dover Kent.
    Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Do you have a copy of their marriage ceritifcate - this would show the father's name and occupation for William and Mary and may help you trace them in the 1841 census.

from freeBMD
    Marriages Sep 1846

Mackey William
    Wickens Mary Jane
    Reigate volume 4 page 448a
    Elaine

Comment

Have you tried searching with m*k* on Ancestry?

Hugo

Comment

No unfortunately I don't have the cert for this union, I am aware of the addition of a 'c' to makey, it was partof the Englishising of our name from the scottish. Just not sure when it became common useage.

I have tried using wild cards on Ancestry but have not been able to find the connection as of yet.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

A William Makey married Mary Fagg in Eythorne, 1764 - http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...yWhQvUZWbcgrzg father was William senior and Mary's father was Matthew

An Al*n M*k*y is Hon Editor of The Journal of the Kent Family History Society http://www.kfhs.org.uk/journal1.htm
          could be worth an e mail
          Last edited by naomiatt; 24-01-10, 02:21.

Comment

Many thanks Naomiatt, that is a useful litle resource for names / details ec.
            All I need to do now is find the links to get back from my William to that one! I am aware of AM's work, and as said previously I want to see the evidence myself so that I am fully happy with it.

Comment

Hi - seems like you may have to apply for the marriage cert of William and Mary...to find the in between William(s) ! ;-)

Comment

It's funny because a son of the William I am looking at married an Eliza Fagg in 1878

Comment

I think if you want to do it your way then you will need to get the marriage cert, this will then a) give you fathers names-occupations and B) any possible relatives as witness' to the marriage. A quick look I can spot them thru the census, but they dont appear to have any parents living with them later on in life. ( I did notice the sister in one of the census)
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by andymak View Post
                    It's funny because a son of the William I am looking at married an Eliza Fagg in 1878
                    Does seem that the Makey's and Flagg's were quite close then..and Eliza is probably related to Mary from 1764...

Agree with Darksecretz...your only concrete proof will be to get the cert.

Comment

Cert ainly looks like I am going to have to do it to get any further.

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1

this is the one with Marys sister Jane WICKENS on it.
                        Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1632; Folio: 778; Page: 5; GSU roll: 193534-193535.

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 550; Folio: 54; Page: 1; GSU roll: 542659.

Class: RG10; Piece: 1012; Folio: 45; Page: 34; GSU roll: 827262.

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1006; Folio: 59; Page: 3; GSU roll: 1341239.

1891 poss

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 746; Folio 85; Page 5; GSU roll: 6095856.

do you know the names and DOB's of the children, these might help in finding them in the other census.. ignore that I found them.
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-01-10, 10:21.
                        Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, you mention Mary Wickens sister, that funnily enough is one of my frustrations, I have the Wickens back to 1747, but can't pove the Makey's back beyond 1813!! But then I have had more success with the records in Surrey where they seem to hark from.
                          Last edited by andymak; 26-01-10, 21:44.

Comment

I know what you mean I have a few lines I just can't seem to progress with too, but we will get there eventually, maybe look for a will? but I would definately get that marriage cert and then one of the childrens b/c to confirm parentage, then work back from that. There has to be something somewhere otherwise how come so many have got further back? just need to find the 'right' key to unlock the puzzle
                            Julie

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me Julie, am also going to contact the parish church where he was born to see if this can throw up anything as I can't find an on-line parish register for Eythorne. Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X