John Day 1788-1875

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Day 1788-1875

I'm researching my wifes side of the family which is the "DAY" family and have got back to her 3rd Great Grandfather a John Day who was born ? in 1788 c in Hertford,Hertfordshire,England.

His father was also named John and according to john jnr death cert his father john was a naval officer and could of fought at Trafalgar ?no mention of his mothers name on Certificate.

John jnr was found guilty of larceny in 1813, he spent 2 years in the hulks and in 1815 was sent to the colonies for 7 years, the ship he was on was called the " BARING".

I would like to find out who John jnr mother was, i believe it could be a Alice Wray but not 100% sure as their was a John Day & Alice Wray who were married at St Andrews parish Hertford,Hertfordshire on the 5th September 1788 the same day John jnr was born ? or maybe Baptised/Christened ? at st andrews as well.

Regards,
    Lionel.

Have you made use of either of these resources?

Welcome to Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more about the council and the services we provide.

I have to say that I have had a quick look at both, without success.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for your reply Christine, i have checked these sites before and this is when i purchased their wedding certificate which reads John Day { widower} & Alice Wray {spinster} i also noticed on the Hertsdirect site under marriages it shows his christian name as Jn not John.

Basically what i'm trying to find out is there any relationship between the John Day/Alice Wray that married on 5/9/1788 at St Andrews Hertford,Hertfordshire and John Day junior that was either Born/Baptised/Christened on the same date and place.

I also purchased John Day 1788-1875 death Certificate and he died in Thurgoona near Albury, N.S.W Australia on the 5/7/1875, this death cert showed his father to be a Naval Officer in the U.K so i may have to get the British naval records checked out to see if that has any spouses name on it.

Regards,
      Lionel

Comment

A bit more info on John Day Junior.

1. John Day was born in 1788 in Hertfordshire, England, died on July 5, 1875 in Thurgoona near Albury, NSW1 at age 87, and was buried in Family Plot, Albury Cemetery, NSW.
        Notes: John Day was a convict who arrived at Port Jackson aboard the ship " Baring " on the 7th September 1815. The ship had sailed fromPlymouth in England on the 20th April 1815, a voyage of 140 days.
        He had been tried and convicted of Larceny, at Stafford Quarter Sessions on the 13th January 1813, and sentenced to 7 years transportation to the Colonies. The shipping indent papers give the following details about John:-
        Residence: Hertford.
        Trade: Labourer.
        Height: 5ft. 4 1/2 ins.
        Complexion: Fair and pale.
        Eyes: Hazel.
        Hair: Brown.
        Religion: Protestant.
        It is reasonable to assume that because of the delay between his conviction in 1813 and the departure date of the transport ship, that John may have been incarcerated aboard one of the prison hulks used for this purpose in the rivers and harbours in England.
        In 1823 he requested and was granted Permission to Marry at Castlereagh.

• In 1828 his occupation was Farmer - Portland Head, NSW. • Religion: Protestant.
        Last edited by oscar942; 23-01-10, 13:07. Reason: Details amended.

Comment

It would be customary for a vicar to insist that a baby was baptised when the parents were married, so I would imagine the parents married and then the baby was baptised at the same time. this would then prevent the child appearing in the church register as illegitimate - something which mattered then.

You have not said how you came by this information - have you seen the actual parish register which describes these two events as taking place on the same day? If so, I would imagine you have the correct people even though it is a common surname...maybe look at the parish register again and try to work out how many John Days there are!

OC

Comment

I don't envy you - I have Days in my tree, lots around here locally, although originally from Bedford my lot!
            Good luck!
            Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

I have "Days" in my tree too and they appear to come from Wales bit of a nightmare trying to find the right family

Comment

Just a matter of interest is there only the one St Andrews Parish in Hertford,Hertfordshire, and if so when did it come into existence ?

Rgds,
                Lionel.

Comment

Lionel

Well, the church records for the parish of St Andrew, Hertord, go back to 1480.

There won't be more than one parish with the same name in the same area.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC at least i've got half a chance now.

Rgds,
                    Lionel.

Comment

Just refreshing my request as still have not found John Day's jn parents.

Comment

If you search the National Archives Catalogue by entering his name and using ADM as the reference to search there are a number of possibles for the father including an entry for a Lieutenant in 1817.

I find it a bit odd, however, that the son of a Naval Officer was a labourer!
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X