Trojan...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trojan...........

McAfee has successfully blocked and removed a Trojan from my computer. First one in 2 yrs. Unfortunately the information disappeared before I could read it all. Should I worry about it even though it's gone? I'd like to know how it got there /where it came from.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

must admit that would bother me too , not sure if you can find out though ?

Comment

No that's why I put it up Val, incase anyone knows how I can search for the details.
      Jen

Comment

I haven't got Mcafee so don't know what screens you're looking at... but you should have a log of blocked items somewhere there, as I have on Norton.

Comment

Fine Velma, I'll see if I can find it.
          Jen

Comment

Double-click on the Mcafee Icon in the bottom right of your screen
            This opens the 'Security Centre'
            On the left is a panel called 'common tasks'
            Click on the 'recent events' link
            This will show you a log of things such as when it turned on, scans etc

Click on the 'View log' button
            From the list that appears, you will see a link to the detection log
            That will show names of virus detected

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Trevor, I've done that and it's telling me that no logs exist. I did a quick clean up in maintenance though, which has speeded laptop up a little, I took the chance to shred temp files etc. McAfee has always worked well for me, never had any problems with it so I reckon the trojan has been found pretty quick and given the boot. Hopefully, that's the last I'll hear about it.

I was mainly concerned because I know I haven't downloaded much recently, and I'm always pretty wary of what I download.......so can't imagine where its come from.
              Jen

Comment

Hi Jen

Run a online scan here
                The online antivirus that allows you to scan and protect your Windows and Android devices for free

Then run a quick scan with malwarebytes you can get it here.

Run a quick scan with superantispyware, you can get it here.
                SUPERAntiSpyware protects you from malware, ransomware & spyware. Start your free trial today & remove Spyware, Rootkits, Adware, Viruses & More!

Turn off system restore click ok and then turn on system restore (only if you find trojans or virus.)
                make a new restore point when clean
                you can run ccleaner after.

Comment

Thanks Brian I will do.

I've just had another message from McAfee, about a trojan, so don't know if this was about the same one or if it's another one they've detected??? It was Generic dx!llK VE\BHO.dll
                  Not that I know what it all means.....but I'm getting worried now.
                  Jen

Comment

It could well just mean that McAfee is doing its job, detected them knocking and has stopped them getting in and is letting you know.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I would suspect that McAfee although it say it has removed the trojan it still remains in your system and will continue to detect and remove each time you reboot.

As has been suggested Malwarebytes is an excelant free program for detecting and removing trojans.

After you have downloaded it and prior to any scan you must UPDATE , this will download the latest malware database.

You will also need to select all drives and choose the FULL scan mode, this may take some time so you need to be patient

When complete you will have the option to delete or quarantine any trojans.

It will also give you a log file of its findings.

Regards
                      Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

That's what I was hoping Caroline until I ran the active scan Brian suggested.......it must have taken about 3 - 4 hours to complete.........I fell asleep waiting for it. I last looked at it at 2a.m and it had found 50 infected files out of 150.000 plus files. I woke up at 4 a.m and found everything finished and in sleep mode, so didn't get to see the final report..........so no idea just how many files were infected in the end. I'm just about to run the other 2 programs Brian has given me, so I may be gone some time...

I just wish I knew where it's come from. The first warning I got from McAfee yesterday told me one trojan had been found in my C Program Files\Fast browser search
                        Jen

Comment

Thank you rbere, what a drag looks like and all day job.....I've never had to do any of this before, so I may be after some more step by step guidance later. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you!
                          Jen

Comment

How long have you had fast browser search and are you a facebook member?
                            Regards Roy

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
                              That's what I was hoping Caroline until I ran the active scan Brian suggested.......it must have taken about 3 - 4 hours to complete.........I fell asleep waiting for it. I last looked at it at 2a.m and it had found 50 infected files out of 150.000 plus files. I woke up at 4 a.m and found everything finished and in sleep mode, so didn't get to see the final report..........so no idea just how many files were infected in the end. I'm just about to run the other 2 programs Brian has given me, so I may be gone some time...

I just wish I knew where it's come from. The first warning I got from McAfee yesterday told me one trojan had been found in my C Program Files\Fast browser search
                              Oh dear .... lots of sympathy. What a way to spend your birthday!!
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi rbere, funny you mention those. I had fast browser search for about 2 months roughly but, now that I have isolated and dumped the harmfull software applications that were a threat, that's gone too! Yipee! Also, was a member of facebook for about 6 months or so but gave that the boot myself well over a month ago, as it held no real interest for me.

I think......or am hoping that I have got to the bottom of this now by following all the steps Brian recommended. It did an excellent job in my eyes.......not having had much experience with these types of problems.

It found a total record of 974 harmful software threats which I have now disposed of. So I'm keeping everything crossed that this is an end to it!!!
                                Jen

Comment

Brian, if you return to this thread I'd like to ask you about the system restore please.

You suggested turning it off only if I found Trojan or virus, well McAfee must have thrown out the trojan and even though I had threats.........which were eventually dumped. Do I still need to do a system restore?
                                  Jen

Comment

The reason i asked those question was because i suspect that this is where your problem originated.

Facebook does have issues with viruses and malware it would be a good idea to remove the fast browser toolbar

removal click here

As for system restore this is a place where shadow copies of your system are made sometimes together with malware and viruses so effectivley even though you delete them they still remain on your system, and i would advise as brian said to turn off system restore and then enable again.doing this will delete all restore points including any affected,

Turn off system restore .... turn on system restore click here

Regards
                                    Last edited by rbere; 23-01-10, 13:22.
                                    Regards Roy

Comment

Thank you rbere and Brian, I've done that now and it looks like they're permanently gone, as it has freed up lots of space on both systems.
                                      Jen

Comment

Glad your sorted yes over a period of time system shadow copies can consume quite a lot of hard drive space, personally i don't use system restore as it tends to be an unreliable way of restoring your system and much prefer to use acronis true image 30mins and your back to normal.

Regards
                                        Regards Roy

Comment

Working...
                                        X