predicament... ways to tackle it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• predicament... ways to tackle it...

yesterday whilst looking for census stuff in USA I discovered a rellie, he was born in Whitwick, Leicestershire 1827 and emigrated in 1857 ( I think) with his wife Hannah and daughter Emma. I can find them on 1880 cens (there was an 1890 cens but this got destroyed) and then nothing.... until I looked deeper, there appears Isaac Lydall in Connecticut (New Britain) with wife Harriet and other children, they have been married for 15 yrs, she is 40 ish and he is 73 ish by this time. The names of the new family really do have some 'Lydall' names. is this coincidence or is it the same chap with wifey number two? I should add that ALL the new children and wifey no2 come from New Jersey, where he lived/worked with wife no1 and daughter Emma.

I can't find Hannah after 1880 either, but also cannot find a death or a remarriage for Isaac.

any ideas how to progress folks?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

The LDS beta familysearch has some possibles.

Have you got them in 1870? - they're on that: you can see the image.

They have a transcription of the 1920 - and he's 93, married, in Hartford, Connecticut - as well as the 1900 images (which give 1857 as his immigration year).

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-01-10, 12:49.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are SSDI entries for at least two of the second family children: Isaac (1889-1970) and Mary (1893-1980).

If the death certs are as full as normal US ones, there should be info about the parents on them. But they won't be cheap!

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-01-10, 13:04.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

World Vital Records finds a hit for Isaac Lydall in this paper: Daily News Times, The (New Brunswick,New Jersey)

Footnote claims to have hits for the name in City Directories - in various states - plus newspapers.

If you can narrow the info down a bit, it might be worth trying Ask-a-Librarian in a relevant area?

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          The LDS beta familysearch has some possibles.

Have you got them in 1870? - they're on that: you can see the image.

They have a transcription of the 1920 - and he's 93, married, in Hartford, Connecticut - as well as the 1900 images (which give 1857 as his immigration year).

Christine

yes sorry Christine, I do have full worldwide access, I have them on the census 1851 UK 1860/1870/1880 USA cens with Hannah in New Jersey (Brunswick) He part owned a needlemanufacturers Lydall & Beekman

the next sighting I have is Isaac with Harriett b. 1869 New Jersey on the 1900 Hartford Conn cens. I did see the SSDI's for the two children but am loathe to connect them incase I have made an error somewhere. (and they dont turn out to be mine) just seems too much of a coincidence not to be?
          Julie

Comment

I did see the SSDI's for the two children but am loathe to connect them incase I have made an error somewhere. (and they dont turn out to be mine) just seems too much of a coincidence not to be?
            It depends how important this lot is to you. If it does matter, then getting one of the children's certs might prove yea/nay.

Christine

Comment

Isaac Lydall has a sister, Harriett my 3x grannie, I have never ordered an american cert before so wouldnt know where to begin! I would like though to either 'kill' hannah off first or find the second marriage, if it is them.

World Vital Records finds a hit for Isaac Lydall in this paper: Daily News Times, The (New Brunswick,New Jersey)
              can I find this on ancestry? am not very confident at looking for stuff on there yet.
              Julie

Comment

can I find this on ancestry?
                I had a look on the Ancestry card index, narrowing it down to USA newspapers and periodicals. "Daily News Times, The (New Brunswick,New Jersey)" doesn't seem to figure as a hit.

Christine

Comment

oh poo... so I'd find the world vital records on the pilot site? (sorry to be so dim)
                  Julie

Comment

its ok I have found the newspaper online.. am looking at it now. thanks for your help Christine.
                    Julie

Comment

Discover your ancestry - search Birth, Marriage and Death certificates, census records, immigration lists and other records - all in one family search!

These two are clunky - and in some cases seems just to collect up stuff you've probably got already. I don't have subs for either, but they are potentially useful.

Christine

Comment

hmmn yes I know what you mean, I dont have subs for either of them either, BUT I did find 'some' archives of newpapers in New Jersey Library and had slow search through that, BUT I also found this one: http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links/databases.html
                        and I found Annie Lydall on it!! which I was really pleased about. I couldnt find a second marriage but I'm more convinced now that they are one and the same person. (and his UK marriage cert came this morning to Hannah/Annie) stating his father as James Lydall FWK.
                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                        X