Help with twins birth please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with twins birth please

According to the 1911 census twins Fredrick Purton and Ernest Purton were 8 years of age.
    They lived at Walthamstowe which was also given as their place of birth.

I have been unable to find their birth recorded in 1893/94/95 under Purton

I did find Ernest George Perton and Frederick William Perton born Q2 1894 - in Fulham, however their record numbers were different 1a 179 and 1a 222. I had always thought that twins had the same number, and besides which Fulham isn't Walthamstowe.

Any ideas please

If they were age 8 in 1911 then they would have been born c1903, not c1893 !

Edit: Just checked the 1901 census - they were 18 in 1911 - but having said that still cannot see a birth. Walthamstow should have come under the West Ham registration district.
    Elaine

Comment

Am I right in saying that the parents didn't marry until 1894?

Mary Ann Field
      Edward Charles Purton
      West Ham Volume 4a, page 202

- in which case they may be registered under MMN?
      Elaine

Comment

This has to be one of them

Births Mar 1894
        Frederick Purton Field
        W. Ham 4a 312
        Elaine

Comment

.. and if you check the actual images there is another entry for

Ernest Purton Field - March 1894
          West Ham 4a, 312

- doesn't seem to be transcribed on freeBMD
          Elaine

Comment

Ernest Purton Field is on FreeBMD - but reg district has been mistranscribed!

Births Mar 1894
            Field Ernest Purton W. Derby 8b 312

Edit: I've submitted a correction to FreeBMD.
            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 22-01-10, 07:00.

Comment

Folks this is interesting - many thanks for this, but I shall have to be careful as my uncle - the son of Frederick is still alive and I don't want him to become upset at the thought that his Dad and his twin may have been illegitimate. Now where does this leave the eldest daughter shown in the 1901 census - Edith Emily?

(Sorry, I did confuse the 1901 and 1911 census - and yes their birth dates would have been 1894)

Perhaps I had better leave well alone - my uncle is 80 something, and I certainly don't want to upset him.
              But, if you do have any thoughts about Emily Elizabeth????????????? I would love to hear them.

Elaine - what is MMN? and where did you find out Mary Ann's surname? that is so helpful - I thought I may have to send for a BC to find out her maiden name.

(I can't access ancestry at present - it must be updating)

Comment

MMN is mother's maiden name.

I found the possible marriage on freeBMD - http://freebmd.rootsweb.com -
                - sorry forgot to make a note of the registration quarter which was June 1894
                Elaine

Comment

It looks as if it was a second marriage for Edward as he is on the 1891 census(transcribed as Parton) with wife Emma, born 1862 Walthamstow. There are no children listed with them.

This is probably the marriage - again from freeBMD

Marriages Dec 1890
                  Grimshaw Emma Charlotte
                  Purton Edward Charles
                  Hackney vol 1b p-age 774

.. again from freeBMD, a death for Emma

Deaths Mar 1892
                  Purton Emma Charlotte
                  W. Ham vol 4a page 198
                  Elaine

Comment

This could be the birth registration for Edith

Births Dec 1887
                    Field Edith Ellen
                    Bethnal Green vol 1c page 247
                    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thankyou, a second marriage had crossed my mind, mainly because Edith seemed to be that much older than her siblings. I had wanted to check on ancestry, but it seems to be out of order at the present moment.

FH seems to open a can of worms at times, and I certainly don't want to worry my Uncle at his age, so I will just give him the bare essentials.

I think his father may be Shadrach Purton - 1871 census in Hemmel Hempstead. The age of Edward Charles seems to fit, would you concur with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Val and George View Post

I think his father may be Shadrach Purton - 1871 census in Hemmel Hempstead. The age of Edward Charles seems to fit, would you concur with that?
                        I'll have a glance when Ancestry is back up and running!
                        Elaine

Comment

If it is the right one, there is an entry for him on the IGI

EDWARD CHARLES PURTON

Birth: 14 FEB 1862
                          Christening: 22 MAR 1867 Hemel Hempstead, Hertford, England

Father: SHADRACK PURTON
                          Mother: SARAH
                          Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine, it is bedtime here in Oz, so I will be back in the morning.

Comment

I seem to have cross posted, but I am having trouble typing in the 1871 census here - it keeps cutting out - so will leave it till later for you to look at yourself,
                              many thanks for your help....I wonder what the problem is

Comment

Crikey....I've just gone onto the IGI and typed in Shadrack Purton and it says he was born in Yorkshire but died in Tasmania, Australia ....does this mean he maybe was a convict?

my Uncle and his wife emigrated from the UK in the mid 1960's

I shall never sleep tonight!!!!:D

Comment

Certainly looks like a good match.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Crikey....I've just gone onto the IGI and typed in Shadrack Purton and it says he was born in Yorkshire but died in Tasmania, Australia ....does this mean he maybe was a convict?

my Uncle and his wife emigrated from the UK in the mid 1960's

I shall never sleep tonight!!!!:D
                                    I think there is probably more than one!

I think this is probably the death for your one

Deaths Mar 1891
                                    Purton Shadrach age at death 69
                                    H. Hempstead volume 3a page 392

.. although there is an entry in the Criminal Register database on Ancestry which may also be him

Shadrack Purton born c 1823
                                    Date of Trial: 29 Feb 1848 Hertfordshire, England
                                    Sentence: Imprisonment
                                    Crime - see Image
                                    Date of Execution or Release - see Image

It's a very poor image so having trouble making out what it says.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Made the image larger - makes it easier to read

Crime = malicious wounding with intent to disable
                                      Imprisonment = 10 months
                                      Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thankyou for all your help. Today I have managed to track them down in the various census, with a variety of transcriptions, and the IGI had plenty of information, altho I realise I will have to double check it with the church records. But I am sure my Uncle will be really pleased with the results.
                                        and how fortunate that Edward Charles married Mary Ann Fields in 1894 - the same year that the twins were born. I shall just put the year and hopefully he won't ask any questions.

I coudn't have managed it with your help, so am most grateful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X