Gourlay help with Scottish birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourlay help with Scottish birth

Hi looking for a bit of help as I have hit a brick wall.

Looking for Margaret Gourlay who I think was born around 1843 in Larbert (or Torwood) which is near Stirling in Scotland. I know her parents were David Gourlay and Agnes Simpson.

I have located her siblings via Scotlands People but cannot find any record of her birth. Her siblings are as follows

William Gourlay born 12/12/1836 in parish of Larbert in County of Stirling in Scotland
    James Gourlay born 5/8/1838 in parish of Larbert in County of Stirling
    Elizabeth Alexa Gourlay born 1/11/1840 again in Larbert

1861 census I have her in Kilsyth with her parents age 18 and in 1871 in Campbeltown married with children and also her death in 1915 but just cannot find her death or 1851 census. In the 1841 census her parents and siblings are living in Larbert.

Can anyone help if so that would be great.

Steven

Steven

I'm sure you are aware that ScotlandsPeople only has Church of Scotland baptisms etc. in its Old Parochial Records. That means that anyone baptised in a dissenting church will not be found there. The registers of some but not all dissenting churches are deposited in the National Archives of Scotland, which would involve a visit to Edinburgh. Their index is online, so you should be able to discover what records they hold for churches in Larbert.

I have an ancestor who was apparently born in Larbert, whose children were born in Denny (found in the IGI) and grandchildren in Airdrie in the 1830s and 1840s (no sign of their baptisms at all).
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John it just seemed unusual that all the siblings are recorded but not Margaret. It seems a trip to Edinburgh might be a good idea my brother in law is also following up his tree and has suggested it a few times.

Steven

Comment

Hi,
        I am not sure if this is your family but the 1851 Scots census lists Margaret GOURLY as b in Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire.
        Parents and other sibling are a mixture ofy b Larbert and Cumbernauld.
        John b 1845, Cumbernauld
        David b 1847, Cumbernauld
        Robert b 1850, Cumbernauld
        Margaret b 1843, Cumbernauld
        Elizabeth b 1841, Larbert
        James b 1839, Larbert
        William b 1837 Larbert

Father b Larbert, Mother b Cumbernauld.
        Apologies if this is not your family but worth a try.
        Last edited by herky; 21-01-10, 22:43. Reason: spelling
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Herky that looks like it has to be the one can you let me know parents names. Will buy some more credits tonight and get a copy printed off. Thank you very much that only leaves Margaret's birth now.

Regards

Steven

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't save my search last night as it was my last before bed.
            From memory it was David and Agnes - but I have a terrible memory.
            Ancestry is down so I can't check.
            However i have just done a search on SP and get one hit with the following search-

Surname - GOURLY - (note spelling)
            Forename - Agnes
            Second person forename - David
            Dunbartonshire
            Age range 30-31

EDIT - Just to add that I failed to find Margaret's birth. Perhaps she wasn't baptised or the record is missing or mistranscribed. I will have another look though.
            Last edited by herky; 22-01-10, 09:10.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Steven,

Not really a reply to your original question and I do not know if you are interested or there might be some connection, but I have two Gourlay brothers staying with my Great Grandmother in Culross as boarders. Their names are Joseph Gourlay b about 1870, age 11 on 1881 Census and John Gourlay b about 1874, age 7 on 1881 Census. Both are from Boness Linlithgow which I think is Stirling? They have intrigued me as they are boarders so young. Are they orphans? I know my g grandmother was widowed twice over and was some sort of schoolteacher. I have not come across many Gourlay in Scotland.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 22-01-10, 10:10.

Comment

Hi,
                I have now managed to get back onto Ancestry.
                Parents were
                Agnes bc 1821 and David bc 1813, occupation waggoner

ED - 3
                Page - 6
                line - 11
                roll - 704
                herky

Comment

Thanks Herky thats great will download census from Scotlands People over weekend when I get time and add it to my file. Pity about the birth looks like the brick wall.

Janet re Gourlay's the ones I have found so far are from Larbert and Stirling none out Fife way so far but will get back to you if I find out any more

Steven

Comment

Herky thanks again for the details of the 1851 census.

Steven

Comment

As the 1851 census listed Margaret's place of birth as Cumbernauld I have been checking the Cumbernauld birth records but alas cannot find any record there or in Larbert. Looks like she may be the only child in the Gourlay family not to have her birth registered, just bad luck I suppose. Her father is listed as a boatman and I presume may have worked on Forth canal and therefore they may have been away from home when Margaret was born so might have to check places further from home.

Steven

Comment

You know what is very strange been on Scotlands People for last three hours and can find births for first 3 children to David Gourlay and Agnes Simpson.

Elizabeth Alexa born 1/11/1840 in Larbert
                        James born 5/8/1838 in Larbert
                        William born 11/12/18436 in Larbert

However cannot find the next 4 children

Margaret (my ancestor)
                        Robert
                        David
                        John

They are all listed on 1861 census as being born in Cumbernauld.

Would anyone know why first 3 are registered by no sign of next 4?

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven,
                          I wonder if it is because all the children that don't have baptisms are from Cumbernauld - perhaps their records were lost/damaged etc
                          I too have tried to find these children but failed.

So annoying.
                          herky

Comment

Thanks Herky looks like a lost cause but thanks for all your help

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                              However cannot find the next 4 children

Margaret (my ancestor)
                              Robert
                              David
                              John

They are all listed on 1861 census as being born in Cumbernauld.

Would anyone know why first 3 are registered by no sign of next 4?
                              One possible reason is that they weren't baptised in a Church of Scotland church. It's entirely possible that the church the first few were baptised in changed from Church of Scotland to (e.g.) Free Church of Scotland, so its baptism registers would cease to be made available on SP.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks John never thought about and certainly could be a reason

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                X