Anyone had Wesleyan ancestor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had Wesleyan ancestor?

Just found a g aunt christened c1890's in a Wesylean church in Yorkshire but not her siblings and then found her grandfather had been too. Don't think anyone else has though.

Wonder why only the one (who died when she was 2).

Are there any other records I could look at - to see if there was another Westlean church in the area?

Couldn't see anything in the wiki.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Jbee

try this site:

I have some wesleyan/methodists in my line and this site has been brilliant! you could also try googling the chapel for their registers.. i ahve been lucky and found some of those too online.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The IGI also covers some nonconformist births as well
      Emeltee

Comment

Methodist churches are supposed to deposit old registers etc. with the County Archives, so you might just be lucky. Around that time Methodism came in several "flavours" of which Wesleyan and Primitive were the biggest. Nearly all branches of the Methodist Church amalgamated in 1933, leaving just a few small offshoots which didn't. It's highly unlikely that the churches where your ancestors were christened still survive. There were many amalgamations, closures and new buildings, and this process is still going on.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you - I'll take a look - unfortunately the ones I want to establish the parentage are pre stat records -

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee

for pre-statutory records, I discovered a thing called the "Wesleyan Circuit Registers" and was extremely lucky to find a Methodist baptism in 1722, which I had long since given up hope of ever finding.

The Wesleyan and Methodist Circuit registers covered several counties. mine appeared in the Lancashire/Yorkshire circuit register. I'm sorry, I can't remember where I found them now b ecause someone else did a look up for me....it may have been Lancashire Records Office? Try a google though.

OC

Comment

In the early days of Methodism there were very few actual church buildings. The New Room at Bristol, opened in 1739, is the very first one. http://www.newroombristol.org.uk/

The Circuit (a grouping of individual churches) is still the basic building block of the Methodist Church so it is logical that the baptism register would be held by the only minister in the Circuit and carried around by him as he circulated round his Circuit.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                Jbee

try this site:

I have some wesleyan/methodists in my line and this site has been brilliant! you could also try googling the chapel for their registers.. i ahve been lucky and found some of those too online.

Julie can you remember how much they charge for viewing files on this site please looks bit pricy what I could see ;;
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                  Julie can you remember how much they charge for viewing files on this site please looks bit pricy what I could see ;;
                  £ 5 for 10 credits

£ 10 for 20 credits

£ 20 for 40 credits
                  Julie

Comment

Hmm 5 credits to view nor bad but carnt see how much to read transcript ;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Standard searching is FREE; viewing a full record or page image costs 5 credits; performing an advanced search costs 1 credit.

when you do a search it will bring up a list, you then have to pick your way through, If i remember rightly when you click on a name it tells you abit about the parents.. so that narrows it down alot
                      Julie

Comment

Well worth the 10 credits i brought on there, i only brought the image, which gave me 2 childrens names, birth date, baptism date, fathers name, mothers name and mothers parents names, which took me back another generation.

I`m not saying thats what will be on everyones search
                        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Sylvia,

I found my gtx 2 grandads bapt on there I was well impressed, I had been looking in all the usual places and then found this, I think as well I have also found a sister for him, but need to do abit more digging as they moved about abit.
                          Julie

Comment

Its a great little site, my only problem was whoever baptised the 2 children got the birthdates round the wrong way, but with Charles and Charlotte i can understand why, every census i have found them on Charles is the elder by 3 years, but Charlotte is the elder on the baptisms.
                            Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                            Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                            Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Working...
                            X