No announcement yet.

Of lions and Danny la Rue where next ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of lions and Danny la Rue where next ??

I was using our libraries free access to 19th century newspapers recently and found masses of family history (it really is an incredible resource - I still haven't figured out how you can word search an original document) but why does it stop at 1900 ( and before anyone picks up the obvious sarcastic retort - I do know what 19th century means !!) are there any sites that cover post 1900 or for that matter pre1800 ??

I've been left with various stories cut off in their prime as it were and need that next few years worth.......... I know I'm an addict !!

Mind you I've found some great stories and wasted hours reading other articles alongside the ones I looked up. The News seemed more dramatic back then - I mean when did you last find a story about a little girl eaten by a lion at the circus relegated to page 5 !

The most amazing family history that emerged was of a cousin who from the censuses appeared to live off Daddy until he was about 40 when he became a photographer and briefly a theatre owner on the IOM . Turns out he was the 1890's answer to Danny la Rue !! The family kept that one verry quiet !!

Roger

Presumably what you have been looking at is the 19th Century British Library News Collection.
    You will also find that some libraries offer online access to the 17th & 18th Centrury Burney Collection of Newspapers -(Lancashire library certainly offers them)

The Times Digital Archives also covers a period from something around the 1780s to late 1980s - again accessible via many libraries.
    Elaine

Comment

Wirral doesn't seem to offer either Elaine :( I'll have to see if I can get them to add these to the list. Although I fear The Times may be too exulted a forum for any of my lot !

Roger

Comment

Working...
      X