Enil W Bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enil W Bell

I was hoping some one with world wide Ancestry could possibley look up the New York passenger list for Enil W Bell.

I don't think he is a relation but my G Grandfathers 2nd wife died at 105 Clarence St Nottingham in 1940 but it was not where she lived. I have looked at Electoral Registers and Enil Ward Bell and Margaret Bell were living there in 1939-40.

I have found a marriage for them in 1942 in Worksop and his death but not a birth. I am hoping this will perhaps help to find out who he is.

If anyone can find a birth I will be very pleased. I have looked under Bell and Ward but perhaps he was born abroad as Enil sounds a bit foreign.

Thanking you
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

The Enil W Bell transcribed on Ancestry is actually Neil W Bell when you view the image!

Enil W Bell born c 1931
    Departure from Southampton
    Name of ship: Georgic
    Arrived New York 28 May 1954
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine.

What a coincidence. Enil that I am looking for was born 6 Nov 1903 according to his death registration. Still can't find a birth but have found a marriage of Samuel Bell to Rose Ward in Mansfield 1901.

I have found Enil on 1911 but neither Samuel or Rose are coming up as living there.

Will have to put some money on the site now.

Thank you
      Lin

Comment

Enil is very unusual - worth looking for Emil as a mistranscription?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi

The Enil Ward Bell you've seen is shown as bieng an adopted child in the household of Charles Bell bn 1853 Ragnall Notts and Emma Bell bn 1852 Ferry Bridge Lincoln aparet from Charles and Emma no one else in the household are married.
          WendyP

Comment

Thank you Christine and Wendy.

Wendy, is this the info from the 1911 census, if so thanks .

I have looked under Ward but will have another look and also try Emil.

Be back soon if I find anything

Thanks
            Lin

Comment

I think his name WAS ENIL- he married in 1942 with the same spelling ( Margaret Donaldson)
              Jess

Comment

Thanks Jess

I have found that so now I am not sure if the person he was living with ib 1939-40 on the ellectoral roll is the same Margaret.

Ancestry is down so can't find anything else at the moment.

Thanks
                Lin

Comment

Mmmm see wha you mean - was it Margaret Donaldson masquerading as Margaret Bell, OR Two Margarets
                  Jess

Comment

My G Grandfather married Eliza Brooks nee Dale in 1930 this was a second marriage for both of them and they were in their 50's.

Eliza died in 1940 at 105 Clarence St , but it said she was of Gainsford Cres. Her daughter Elizabeth Marshall was the informant and 'in attendance'. She died of Syncope and Bromchitis so it wasn't sudden. This is were Enil and Margaret were living and about 6 miles from where they lived. Having said that its about 5mins walk from where they had lived most of their liife. Elizabeth was still on Elec rolls at Gainsford Cres with William so there doesn't seen to be a rift in the family.

I am just trying to establish why they were there and who Enil and Margaret are.
                    Lin

Comment

Hi Lin, I am very interested in any documentation you may have re Enil Ward Bell.
                      As an 80 year old senior with extremely limited computer skills, I have tried various times to respond to your post but was unsuccessful. This time it would appear I can post a reply.
                      The Enil Ward Bell I am interested in was born in Liverpool area in 1903/1904. He served in the British Army and in 1925 was stationed in Palace Barracks, Holywood, Co. Down, N. Ireland. I am very late getting into Family Tree research and am still very much an amateur.

Enil returned to Nottingham area, leaving behind a wife and young daughter. The wife was my Aunt Mary Elizabeth Bell (nee French). I have a copy of the marriage certificate. The marriage was in 1925 and the certificate shows Enil Ward Bell's father as Frank Charles Bell. The ages for the bride and groom is shown as 21. However, Mary Elizabeth was actually born in 1902 (I have the birth certificate.)

I suspect the wedding may have been arranged fairly quickly as the child Eileen was born only a few months after the wedding. Enil took off not long after the birth and Mary Elizabeth raised Eileen with the assist of her parents John and Elizabeth French. Unfortunately Mary Elizabeth developed a serious heart condition as a result of childhood rheumatic fever and was basically a bedridden invalid for the rest of her life.

In some family notes there was little of any contact after Enil returned to England. Their daughter Eileen apparently made one trip to England to visit her father but other than a mention of a wife(?) Margaret and a son Jimmy, nothing else is known. There was never a divorce that we know of and Mary Elizabeth died in 1946. Eileen never talked about her father until just before she died (dementia) when she mentioned her half brother Jimmy. This was a surprise to the family.
                      Because they new I was interested in in family tree research I was asked to see if I could come up with some family background.

Any light you can shed would be most appreciated. We are on a very modest fixed income so Ancestry.com and fee based research is just not an option for us.

Look forward to hearing from you or anyone else who can assist filling in the blanks.

Kindest regards,

Roy French
                      Mississauga-Canada.
                      Roy French
                      Mississauga-Canada

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Roy.

I've had a quick look and it seems that Lin has been on the forum within the last few days, so you may well find that you get a response on this thread quite soon. If not, you can click on Lin's name on the left of a post, and a "drop-down menu" appears, with a list of things you can do - one of those looks like an envelope and it allows you to send a message directly to the person's "in-box" here in FTF. If Lin's settings are right, that should trigger a message to whichever contact email address they have set up.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Roy has contacted me with a personal message and will reply to him there.

Just to let people know I have seen the message.

Roy please look in your notifications at the top of the page
                          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                            Roy has contacted me with a personal message and will reply to him there.

Just to let people know I have seen the message.

Roy please look in your notifications at the top of the page
                            That's helpful, Lin. Thank you.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X