Why was he a Mr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was he a Mr.

I have traced one line of my family back to Robert Cording who died in Dunster, Somerset in 1772. Dunster's parish records have been transcribed on line. Would there be a reason why Robert has (Mr) after every entry of his name, and no-one else on the registers has this?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I have no idea Linda, perhaps he was a 'gentleman'? I certainly havent seen anything like it.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

One of my ancestors is always recorded as "Mr". As Julie says, it was to denote that he was of importance in the parish and required respect!

OC

Comment

Are you sure it is Mr and not MS? MS was a Male Servant and used quite a lot in the 1700/1800's. I have a number of these. If it is a transcription then that is often a mistake!

OC beat me to it somaybe it is Mr!

Janet

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I did find a mention of a Robert Cording of Wiveliscombe in Somerset who was given a Medical Licence by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1691. Unfortunately I don't know where my Robert was born, but there are a lot of Cordings in Wiveliscombe, so there may be some connection. I think it is unlikely that Dr. Robert is the same one though, as that would mean that he would have had to live to about 100.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

None of mine have been called Mr in the Parish Records but I have often noticed it. I agree with OC - the person writing the records used it as they would have done to the person if they were speaking to them directly. Someone of standing in the parish who even the vicar would call Mr.

Anne

Comment

It could be 'manservant' or something, but are you sure it cannot be an abbreviation of 'master', i.e. the eldest son of a gentleman (of fortune) or gentleman farmer or something who was still alive at te time of the marriage. They would call them 'master William' f.e.

Gentlemen of fortune (own income) were usually called 'esq(uire)', and that also often features in parish records I have seen.

Comment

He had the abbreviation after his name on his burial -He would have been about 70 then, so I doubt a "Master"! This is only on a transcript on line, so I can only say what is there. There are two other men in the village that seem to warrant this title, maybe they were the "gentlemen". Interestingly, one of Roberts daughters married someone who had the profession "gentleman", so presumably they would have been roughly the same class.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

haha. Ok I must have been sleeping! :o

Comment

I transcribe PRs for FreeReg and most of those with Mr. after their names are as OC says, someone of importance.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

In my experience of country parish regs, Esq meant gentry, Mr meant someone of importance but not necessarily gentry - my Greens were gentlemen farmers, were distantly descended from gentry, but were not actually gentry themselves - just wealthy farmers with a lot of local clout and influence.

I have never seen "master" used in a PR to denote a young boy, but have very occasionally seen "heir of" when a first son dies young.

OC

Comment

Going back to Wiveliscombe, I have a couple of exceeding posh families with houses in the area. Not my direct rellies, I hasten to add, just something "to add verisimilitude to an otherwise unconvicing narrative" as W S Gilbert put it.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X