Virtual Private Network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Private Network?

Can someone recommend a free downloadable one please which is compatible with all wifi networks provided in cafes, hotels etc

Many thanks

never heard of one... what does it do?
    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Apparently it protects your lap top being hacked into by someone else using the same wifi network in that location.

It was on Watchdog a few months back.

Comment

well google returns nothing with regards to such a thing, other than this post... lol

Comment

Oooh that was quick!

Comment

I remember half watching this!
            Here's a link to the Watchdog page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...ot_secure.html
            Elaine

Comment

Oopsie... it's virtual private network... no wonder no-one had heard of it!! :D

Comment

Thread title now changed to correct description of VPN - Virtual Private Network.

Reading the link which Elaine provided, it says that you download it from the home page of the network which you're using.

But, is there one I can download which is suitable for all networks please?

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                  Thread title now changed to correct description of VPN - Virtual Private Network.

Reading the link which Elaine provided, it says that you download it from the home page of the network which you're using.

But, is there one I can download which is suitable for all networks please?
                  Any VPN is goung to be fairly unique to the provider you are using.. A generic one would have little to recommend it as it would have security implications..

Comment

Ok, thanks for that Tim

The link page does seem to imply that each network has their own VPN, although some don't seem to think there's a risk, which is a bit worrying.

I guess I'll have to see what network is provided, see what VPN you can download from their home page and go from there.

Thanks for your help...

Comment

I use a Virtual Private Network.

It is a method for me to connect to my college network from OUTSIDE its normal connection area (IE within the college) while using a public network.

By connecting to the college network via the VPN, I can access all of our information systems, databases, and internal email accounts that are hidden from the rest of the Internet behind a firewall and not normall accessable unless you are inside the network already..

A VPN creates a 'tunnel' that allows you to connect to the secure network, but protects your transfer of data between the two from being 'hijacked'.

There is no such thing as a VPN program that you download and use.
                      The VPN is configured using settings that have been set by the manager of the network that you are connecting to.
                      Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 21-01-10, 20:56.

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you for confirming that Trevor

Comment

You can take some steps to secure your wireless network

1. Use Mac filtering

2. Hide SSID

3. Spoof your Mac Address

4. Use SSH (Secure Shell)

5. Enable WPA encryption

6. Use WPA Key Generator Example http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/.../generator.php

hope this helps you out

Comment

Thanks Brian, although I think you've just blinded me with techno talk! :o

Comment

Working...
                            X