Address Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address Help please

My grandfather spent a week's leave during WW1 at Peartree Bank, Congleton. He came from Barnsley but I know he had family living in Congleton and I was hoping this address would help me to identify them. I know for certain that this place existed in 1916 so I did an address search on the 1911 census to try and locate it. Nothing came up! Any ideas please?
    Teresa...

Hi Teresa
    If you split up Peartree i.e Pear Tree & also put in Bank you will get some results for Congleton.
    Moggie

Comment

Moggie, I've tried that and still no joy! I have looked through the addresses and I can't find a Pear Tree Bank listed at all.
      Teresa...

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa from the Bay View Post
        Moggie, I've tried that and still no joy! I have looked through the addresses and I can't find a Pear Tree Bank listed at all.
        Have you got a house number? What are you putting in the forename or surname search box?
        Moggie

Comment

My grandfather's WW1 record states he was staying at 72 Peartree Bank, Congleton. I didn't do a person search as I don't know who might be living there, I was hoping it was one of his married sisters. I did an address search instead. Under "other establishments", I can find a Pear Tree Farm but no Bank.
          Teresa...

Comment

Hi Teresa
            There's a family called Dixon & a Winifred Mary Grindley living with them &
            a family called Scutchton.
            Do the names ring any bells?
            Moggie

Just put in Pear Tree Bank Farm & the same people come up.
            Moggie
            Last edited by maudarby; 20-01-10, 15:36. Reason: To add PS

Comment

Thanks Moggie, I eventually found that one but it isn't what I am looking for. My grandfather stayed at no. 72 and I have also found a monumental inscription which shows a family lived at 64 Pear Tree Bank in 1917. It surely must be some kind of road?
              Teresa...

Comment

I had a look at that family. The surname should be SCUTCHEON (as was always more likely). I've submitted a correction.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The enumerators list of neighbours doesn't seem to include a Pear Tree Bank for an address - it seems to be part of Sandbach / Betchton. These are the neighbours:
                  BAKER
                  BOFFEY
                  BOLSHAW x2
                  JONES
                  PROUDLOVE
                  WOODGATE
                  UPTON
                  WARBURTON
                  HALL
                  JACKSON
                  BUTTERWORTH
                  HALTON(?)
                  MOSS
                  HARDING
                  LEESE
                  WEBSTER
                  BAILEY
                  YATES
                  BICKERTON

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I tried out "Pear Tree" as a part-name for a street on UKSTREETMAP.co.uk but, though there are a number in Cheshire, there don't seem to be any actually in Congleton.

Perhaps you need to have a look at one of the historical map sites?

Christine

Comment

It might be worth contacting the Cheshire Family History Society http://www.fhsc.org.uk/ where some kind soul would be able to tell you.
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X