Can anybody read the occupation and address please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody read the occupation and address please

its for Brown 7th one down on left does it say Labourer ?? thanks http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=4028235

I can see why you have a problem - the ink in the original is really splodgy!

My first thought was "Labourer", but there's no tall letter in the middle. "Vegetable Salesman" on the line below does have a tall letter where the b needs to be. On the other hand... "Tailor's Cutter"* on the line above has a very similarly-shaped initial letter for "Cutter"... Could your man have been a "Carman"? (*I should admit that my interpretation is open to doubt, given that that, too, is a splodgy-ink entry!)

Now for the address...
    The easy bit is: 15 SPLODGE Road

After that, I think you'll have to go hunting for other letters written in the same hand to see what could make sense.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't think it says labourer.... There's no tall stroke for the B and it doesn't match the readable 'labourer' 4th one down.
      Could it be Carman ?

Comment

thanks both for looking ,I love the address Splodge Road Christine lol its not him then I dont think ???

Comment

i'd say Carman...
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie dont think its the right one then

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              Thanks Julie dont think its the right one then
              Are you saying that "Carman" would rule him out but "Labourer" wouldn't?

I agree that there's a step between them, but not an enormous one.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I suppose so Christine will have another look at it thanks

Comment

Working...
                X