Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenterden, Kent...can someone find my Checksfields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenterden, Kent...can someone find my Checksfields?

Hi there

I don't want to seem rude so I will be honest and point out that I am discussing this on another forum as well, just because it is quite a tough request and I wanted to maximise my chances of someone being able to find some information; I hope you can all forgive me? :o

My ancestor, Edward Checksfield, is on census ref HO107/1620/287/21. It shows he was born in 1821, in Tenterden Kent and I think he was married to Jane Sims in 1844. Through a google search, I found a note saying that there weren't any corresponding baptisms in the parish records but there was this possible candidate:

14 Jan 1821, Edward, son of Richard & Philly CHACKSFIELD

It looks quite possible to me, especially given that the couple's name is spelled Checksfield in the 1841 census. They had vanished by 1871, but I have found a GRO Death entry for a Richard Checksfield in Q4 1867, Tenterden.

All sounds possible doesn't it...?

A small 'however' --- a member tree on A******y has a Richard Checksfield born in the right year, and right place but with an unsourced death of 1860. I've sent them a message to see if any other information correlates. If it is the same guy, then his father is Solomon Checksfield and his Mother is Mary Ballard. I can't see any Richard Checksfield deaths in Tenterden in 1860.

So, what do you all reckon?

If anyone can see any baptisms, burials etc to confirm any of the Edward (1821), Richard (1786) or Solomon (1739) lives, I would be really grateful!

Thanks for reading,
    Rachel

You could always get the marriage certificate of Edward to confirm his father's name.
    If it is Richard then it would tie in with this 1841 census
    HO107; Piece 476; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Tenterden; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 4; Page: 1; Line: 6;

I can't see any suitable death for Richard in 1860. The one that you have found in 1867 seems to fit the Richard found in the 1841 census.

Doesn't really help with this query, but if you have any other Tenterden rellies then this site might be useful -
    Tenterden MIs
    There are a few Checksfield entries ... but not the ones you want!
    Elaine

Comment

Hi folks,

I just wanted to add an update; following a link that someone gave me, I was able to contact someone who had also been researching this person (although not related to me in any way) and he has managed to trace them back to 1650! The gentleman has also very kindly sent me the gedcom of it!

The Richard Checksfield we have been looking at is the correct one!! He is my husband's 4th great-grandfather..

The tree goes back to a Solomon Chacksfield born in 1650 (the name mutated over the years to Checksfield) who is my husband's 8th great-grandfather.

How cool is that!?

I'm so excited, the other branches in my tree are excruciatingly slow and difficult so to have a bonus like this is incredible.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards
      Rachel

Comment

I hope that you will cross-check the information you've been given. It's so easy to take someone else's research at face value and end up linking to the wrong family.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I know a few people who have done that; indeed the death year for Richard Checksfield is incorrect on several Ancestry trees so it is fairly obvious that someone has just copied someone else's info and then someone has copied theirs, and so on and so forth. I will definitely be working my way through checking the information, but its still exciting!!

Comment

oh Rachel well done!! that is such good news.. It is just the kind of lift you needed, I know it seems like you are banging your head on a massive wall sometimes, but we must love the chase cos we still go back for more!!
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
            X