Help needed to trace a death.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to trace a death.

My Great-grandfather dissapeared without trace. I am trying to find out what happened to him.

His name was William Thomas Powe (Bill)
    Born in 1892 in London

He married my Great-gran Elsie Rebecca Borrett in 1918.
    They lived in Sevenoaks, Kent.

They had 3 children;
    Olive Powe (My nan)
    William George Gordon Powe
    Arthur Leslie Thomas Powe

Somewhere along the line he left the family to find work and send money back, the last they heard of him was when he sent a telegram to my Great-gran, it said;

Dear Elsie
    I am sorry but I could not get down to see you. Will write as soon as possible.
    I had to but a suitcase to take away my things in so will you please accept £1 this week and I will see what can be done as soon as I get over there. I am going tonight at 9.30 from Euston.
    Best love to you all,
    Your loving husband,
    Bill xx

During his life he was a waiter in a hotel in Richmond and he was also in the Army, Private Powe, 9th batalion Royal Fusiliers.

My Great-gran asked the salvation Army to help her trace him, but they found nothing.

Where was he going?
    Where is his death certificate?
    Why did he just dissapear?

These are just some of the questions going through my mind, so any help would be greatfuly recieved.
    Thanks
    Tracey

Do you know when the telegram was sent?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

No sorry, there is no date on the telegraph.

Comment

Tracey, there is a death for a William T Powe in london have you seen this?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...eath93&indiv=1

JAS quarter 1947
        Hammersmith
        vol 5c
        page 589

it states his age as 47, but that would only be as correct as the person that gave the info.
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 18-01-10, 13:11.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Euston station served the west coast and Midlands in 1930 Birmingham and Manchester also Glasgow. "Over there" suggests perhaps Ireland, may not be any help but then may be. Rod

Comment

I will look into that death record, thank you.

I also thought of Ireland with a possibility that he then went onto the USA?
            I have looked at a few passenger records but can't find him listed.

Thanks for your help, its driving me mad not knowing where he went.
            I wonder if he remarried (Bigamist as not devorced) and if he had more children?

Comment

I had a quick look at the stateside censi but nothing really jumped out at me with that name and the fact that he was born in england. there are W.T.Powes there but nothing that seemed to register if you see what I mean.

I think if it were me I'd order that death cert first, if only to discount it..
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Fab, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X