Windows Update ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Update ??

I've just noticed, the internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP, failed to update on my computer.....do i need to do this myself now and, does it make much difference, what difference will i see please.

This should have happened in Sept 09.

By the way, i use Mozilla Firefox.
    Last edited by Tilly Mint; 18-01-10, 09:06.
    Jacky

If you don't use IE8 then why not remove it.

Comment

I'm not up on computers John, i put Mozilla on because i was having problems...Mozilla works fine for me. I have just left IE8 in the background.....in case ...Lol. Will i just ignore the failed update.
      The only problem i do have is the computer wont shut show when i've finished, it keeps re-booting itself.
      Jacky

Comment

If you're happy with Mozilla then it's probably best to stick with it and not bother with IE8. There are a number of web browsers out there and different people have there own preferences as to which they like.

From memory I think some computers running XP did/do suffer from problems when shutting down. It may be worth while having a look on Microsoft's website for fixes, unless anyone else knows of a resolution.

Comment

Thanks John ;)
          Jacky

Comment

By default, Windows XP is set to restart when an error occurrs. To stop the uncontrolled reboots
            Go to Start Menu/Control Panel/System/System Properties
            Select the Advanced tab.
            Uncheck "Automatically restart" option'

You could have several system errors that is causing reboots.

Regards
            Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Thank you Rbere.

I had done this as was recommended to me, it still reboots.....
              Jacky

Comment

OK There is usually? 3 reasons why shut downs/restars occur.

[U]Recovery settings [/Ut

this one you have already eliminated

Software incompatibilities, including driver issues

Is this a recent problem or has it been like this for a long time / if recent can you remember any changes you made or programs you installed or updates?

are you confident enough to be able to get into safe mode click here if you can once in there shut the computer down and see if it reboots or shuts down properly.

BIOS problems
                This is a more complicated problem to sort ;but more uncommon.

Regards
                Regards Roy

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Yes, its been going on a while now, i will be logging off soon, rbere, so i will have a go at the "safe mode" tomorrow. Once i'm in safe mode, what should i expect ?....so i just shut it down straight away then.

Thanks for your help and guidence - i sure need it....Lol
                  Jacky

Comment

It will have big icons task etc and look a little odd ;but safe mode is a basic mode loaded without your software and have basic drivers loaded, if you get a box just select to continue with safe mode.All i want you to do is to shut down in the normal way, if it shuts ok and doesn't reboot then your problem is more likely to do with software or drivers.

Sorry its a process of elimination.

Regards
                    Regards Roy

Comment

Done the safe mode rbere, its still the same, but now i get square boxes telling me different files are saving my settings, and if i stop them i will loose anything i have saved - then another box comes on asking me do i want to report it ?? it then closes down.
                      Jacky

Comment

Sounds like you are having browser problems, error reporting?.

Regarding your reboot problem when exiting safe mode did you select shut-down, if so did your pc just reboot as before?

Looking like repair install is the only way to solve your problem? could be a bios problem ;but again its not for the inexperienced.

You cold try selecting last known configuration that worked. click here see page two instead of selecting safe mode select last know configuration and enter.

Regards
                        Regards Roy

Comment

Working...
                        X