Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Give Up

My husbands Grandmother was born in 1895 as ANNIE HELENA STEPHENS

Married as ANNIE ELLEN to Walter Prestidge he died in 1948 and she married for a second time as

ANNIE HELENA Prestidge and became Browning

Died as ANNIE ELEANOR PRESTIDGE!!!! and was buried with Walter Prestidge.... on the gravestone is says 'Buried with her husband Walter Harold Prestidge. What became of poor William Browning?? Not a request for help just a ????

Took me a while to sort all that out

Linda

I have something similar in my tree, except quite a bit earlier.

Wife is buried with her first husband and death is recorded in his surname. I "assumed" the second marriage had been for propriety and companionship - both were well into their 60s and both had been married before and both were buried with their former spouses, presumably because there was a space in the grave!

OC

Comment

likewise, I have my grt gran married to Thomas Shelton he dies she marries again, becomes a Holt, she dies, and is buried with her first hubby, and second hubby remarries and has a life with his new wife.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My gt grandfather is buried with his first wife. It's to do with the cost of purchasing a grave, if you've got one already, why buy another?

Do you mean this lady's death was registered under her first married name?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell,

Yes the death certificate is Annie Eleanor Prestidge.

Linda

Comment

I do wonder what our ancestors were up to sometimes!

I have a Helena that became an Ellen, an Ellis that became an Edward, and a Charles that became an Ernest!
            Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Lol Andymak,

I have an Ellen that became a Cis (even written by her on the back of a photo of herself) but eventually found out that my Grandad, her brother, called her Sis (ter) and it became Cis!!!!! I looked for ages for Cecilia, Priscilla, etc. etc.

Linda

Comment

Working...
              X