Family Tree Maker 2006 making a book - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2006 making a book - help

This is the first time I have tried making a book. I can't get a book preview, have been to the help section and unchecked settings as suggested, but still no joy.

When I press 'preview book' pages are all copied, then Paint Shop Pro opens with the message across the page -

The specified file cannot be identified as a supported type.

Can someone help please?

Mine saves the book as a.pdf file and then automatically opens it in Adobe Reader.

Do you have Adobe Reader installed?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy

Yes, I have Adobe Reader 9 installed. Do you know a way of bypassing Paint Shop Pro?

Comment

I started doing a book in FTM 2009 (which I imagine is similar to 2006 - it does it as a .pdf file as Wendy said) but decided in the end it wasn't worth it - it was quicker and easier to cut and paste what I wanted into a word document. I found that much more flexible.

No doubt .pdf files have their advantages but they weren't obvious to me.

Comment

what version of windows are you using . you need to change your "file association" for .pdf files.

PDF files can be used on lots of different operating systems i.e. Mac and Windows and can't be easily edited by others.
          Also if you are having the book professionally printed they use .pdf files
          Last edited by Mike Fisher; 17-01-10, 13:37.
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Mike

Can you explain how to do that please? I'm using Windows XP.

Comment

Just found this which might help. You may need to reinstall the FTM PDF Printer. See bottom of page.

http://pastftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pastftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1888&p_created=1067550007&p_si d=gz2fCdSj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_ sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3J vd19jbnQ9MTEwLDExMCZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wd j0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1wcmV2aWV 3IGJvb2s!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Rather a long link!!!! But it does work.
              Wendy

Comment

Hi Wendy

Thank you for the link. I am not having a problem printing, my problem is I cannot preview the book before printing.

Comment

The two can be linked. If the printer set up is not correct in FTM then you are unable to preview the book. Sounds daft .. but true!
                  Elaine

Comment

Funny thing is, now I can't preview or print a book!!!! I could before, but now it won't do it!
                    Wendy

Comment

I've given up trying to do it via FTM - prefer using Publisher, but you could do it in Word just as easily.
                      Elaine

Comment

Well I just followed the instruction via the link and have deleted the FTM printer - but still won't let me preview the book. Will do as you suggest Elaine and use Word.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Comment

Something like Word or Publisher will give you far more options for formatting - and if you want charts and reports from FTM you can always copy and paste.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X