Previous army service ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous army service ?

Would someone be kind enough to look at this link and tell me what they think the line says that gives his previous service please.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

1st Batallion Lincolnshire Regiment - discharged on termination of engagement 1910
    Elaine

Comment

Thats' what I read it as too.

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you Elaine and Linda

Comment

mmmmmm Bob - see what you mean. It looks to me as though that's his number in the Sherwood Forresters and presumably he has been with them since 1910.

Comment

Oh Bob, that's really interesting, how did you do that? Did he get the Military Medal?
            The thing is I don't know he is my chap, I'm just trying to narrow down which one is 'my chap'.
            I only know that he said he was 39 in 1935 but obviously he could have lied and said he was older to get in.
            I know that he got the Military medal and I think that he went on to serve in Ireland after the war. He was't in the services in 1935 and I know that he was in Nottingham by then, but that's all I know.

Can you tell me how to narrow down the search to just those who got the Military Medal please. That should narrow it down a bit.
            I have a contact who feels certain that he is the one in the Sherwood Forresters with the number 266886, but I was hoping that wasn't him because there doesn't seem to be any clue to his age or anything.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 16-01-10, 21:56.

Comment

Docs I saw said 41 at the beginning of 1936..... I think this ones age is way out!
              But the thing is you never know...

Comment

Originally posted by Peppie View Post
                Docs I saw said 41 at the beginning of 1936..... I think this ones age is way out!
                But the thing is you never know...
                I think they are going to be the most accurate Peppie. The thing is that I can't find a suitable birth in Nottingham for those years (apart from a Joseph Smith Sullivan) 1896. I wish I knew where he was born. Have to go off to bed now (hubby yawning) but will read everything tomorrow. I think I need to see all the Joseph Sullivans that got the Military Medal to try and narrow it down.
                That's why I was asking Bob if he knew how to only view the ones who had got the Military Medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  I think they are going to be the most accurate Peppie. The thing is that I can't find a suitable birth in Nottingham for those years (apart from a Joseph Smith Sullivan) 1896. I wish I knew where he was born. Have to go off to bed now (hubby yawning) but will read everything tomorrow. I think I need to see all the Joseph Sullivans that got the Military Medal to try and narrow it down.
                  That's why I was asking Bob if he knew how to only view the ones who had got the Military Medal.
                  Ahhhh interesting look at the letter she wrote to someone called smith and asked them to pass him the letter ;) wonder if that's worth looking into Who was Mr Smith???

Comment

If we are looking at the same record - this guy 91902 in the Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) and 700249 in the Labour Corps seems to have been pretty consistent with his age

Date of birth given as 9/1/1882
                    34 years 75 days when he was conscripted under the Derby Scheme in 1916
                    37 years 140 days when he transferred to the Labour Corps in 1919
                    39 years in 1920

No evidence on this record that he served in Ireland - but if by any slim chance he re-enlisted again 1920 onwards those records are not in the public domain
                    No evidence on this record that he received the MM

Only way to be absolutely certain if a man received an MM is to check microfilmed rolls at NA Kew under ref WO372/23 - they are supposed to all be listed under this ref on the NA Documents Online - and then on the cards Ancestry have online - but it is possible some may have gone missing. They were generally listed in the LG too - normally only with an initial and surname

Sorry - but I think we can be fairly certain that this is not the man you are seeking Chrissie

Cheers

Sue

Comment

Oh yes Peppie - I hadn't thought of that - the Smith connection. I bet that's him.

Thank you Sue and Bob. Yes, I don't think that's him. I was getting desperate and looking for all the Joseph Sullivans that might have been born in Nottingham. Now (thanks to Peppie) I have seen his photograph and he looks easily the 41 in 1936 that it says he was but not 54 as this man would have been.

Comment

Working...
                      X