Donald Anderson help with census and birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Anderson help with census and birth

Hi I haven't posted a request on any of my Scottish ancestors on this forum yet but have hit a brick wall and wondered if anyone can help.

I have estimated Donald's birth around 1838 in Strath on Skye. His death was on 14/12/1875 in Alloa aged 38. His parents were Donald Anderson (farmer) and his mother was Mary McKinnon. He died by slipping on a piece of orange peel whilst on beat and broke his leg which turned infected and he died as a result.

I have him on the 1841 census in Strath on Skye with his parents, brother Roderick and sister Flora aged 5. I have him on the 1851 census again in Strath with his parents and sister.

The problem is with the 1861 census. The only Donald Anderson I can find is in Port Glasgow age 24 occupation labourer and birth is given as Invernesshire (Skye is part of Invernesshire). Looks like he may be boarding but I haven't managed to find any more Donalds. I have his father Donald snr still in Strath in 1861.

In 1871 I have him in Campbeltown age 32 with occupation policeman (which fits) and place of birth as Strath in Skye. He is boarding and wife Margaret and 2 children are living in Tayinloan in Killean.

Basically I am looking to see if anyone can help with Donald's birth and if there are any more possibilities for 1861 census.

Thanks

Steven

I did a parent search on the IGI and came up with two births and baptisms for children of these parents, John in 1828 and Rodk. in 1824. The batch no is C111192.

Not sure if this helps, but it might if you know the names of Donald's other siblings.

Did a further search of this batch no with just Mary Mackinnon as Mother and a Donald Grant came up with dob 1838.

Further searches for marriages for Mary Mckinnon in batch M111192 shows quite a few. That seems to have been a popular name. Not sure if this is of help, or if it makes it more confusing!
    Last edited by Elderflower; 16-01-10, 11:09. Reason: Further info found

Comment

There's 1 on ancestry living in county of Moray dob 1826. Maybe the enumerator's handwriting is bad and his age has been transcribed as 10 years out? I've been bumped off now so I can't check it for you.

Comment

Thanks Pat re siblings these are the ones that I know of

1841 Donald snr age 35, Mary age 35, Roderick(Rodrick) age 15, Flora 12 and Donald (my ancestor) aged 5
        1851 Donald age 55, Mary age 40, Flora age 20 and Donald age 16
        1861 - unsure if the census from Port Glasgow with Donald Anderson age 24 I think
        1861 Donald snr age 70, Mary age 60 and Rodrick is back age 40
        1871Donald snr age 75 Mary died 1870, Rodrick age with his wife Catherine age 34 and daughter Mary age 8 and Alexander age 3

Occupation of Donald snr is crofter all the way through and I am sure I have the correct censuses just not sure with Donald Jnr in 1861
        Donald snr death is recorded as 24/5/1876 age 82 and his parents are listed as Rodrick Anderson and Mary McKenzie

I know that I have probably found out as much as I can but you never know with the members of this forum!!!! They never stop amazing me

Steven

Comment

Steven

If you can wait until Thursday, I should be going to our local FHC where we have a set of Scottish OPRs on CD. I'll see if they show any more about Donald than the IGI. I have found this to be so in the past.

Unfortunately, whether I go or not will be dependant on the weather - been snowed in here for the past 10 days, and if I have recovered from some nasty bug I've had for the same length of time. Have taken a print out of your posts and will see If I can find anything for you.

Comment

Fantastic Pat but don't go out your way especially with the weather. Thank you in advance.

I have managed to find out so much on Donald eg the newspaper cuttings of his obituary, the events surrounding his death, most census reports and his marriage certificate and death certificate. I also know that he is listed on the police memorial at Tulliallan as he died in active service and I also found where he was buried but unfortunately the cemetary is no longer used and is in a state of disrepair. There is no longer a headstone but I know roughly from a map where he is buried.

However I have never been able to find his birth or that of his parents so if you can find out anything I would be eternally grateful.

Steven

Comment

Thanks Galloway lass if you can check out that information that would be great and thanks

Steven

Comment

In think I must have the correct 1861 census. The only one I think it can be is in Greenock, he is aged 24, is boarding and is noted as shipyard labourer from Aygyllshire. The others are all together with their families and the names are not right. This is the only one where Donald is on his own. In 1867 when he gets married he is living in Port Glasgow (near Greenock) and in 1878 and 1879 when he has his first 2 children he is still living in Port Glasgow.

Steven

Comment

Thank you Pat for all your help looks like it is definately end of road for Donald's birth but that all part of the fun.

Steven

Comment

Working...
                  X