Scottish website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish website

My friend is starting her family tree and most of her ancestors are from Dumfries in Scotland.

Could any one advise which is the best websites for her to subscribe to.

Thanks for any help you can give

regards

Tralena
    Last edited by Tralena; 15-01-10, 21:38.

The most useful website is "scotlands people"
    It is pay to view but well worth the money. it costs 1 credit to view a page of about 25 results and 5 credits to see an actual cert. 30 credits cost £6.
    If you are careful and look at the IGI and the census to get info then 30 credits should be enough to make a good start. The certs are immediately downloadable so in an hour or two you should be able to get well on with your tree - especially if the names are not too common and you have a little background info as to place etc.
    Good luck.

that is
    www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-01-10, 17:30. Reason: getting hyperlink to work :)
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Although you can search the indexes you cannot download the images of births less than 100 years ago, marriages 75 years ago or deaths 50 years ago. However if he/she visits Edinburgh personally - costs £10 a day you can transcribe the information on the the recent bdm's. Alternatively he/she could ask if anyone is going to Edinburgh and might do a lookup for them.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you Herky & JBee,

For your quick and informative replies

It will be very helpful info for my friend.

regards Tralena

Comment

Have you sent her into the wiki?

Jess

Comment

1851 census has been transcribed by D&G FHS and is available free through the library service along with loads of other archives. Here's the link -
            http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4364

The link to the FHS is http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/

What are her names? Where in Dumfriesshire?

Comment

Hi Jessbowbag and Gallowaylass.

No I didn't think to mention the family tree forum wiki. I send her the link to become a member.

The family name was Marchbank and they lived in Dumfries. The one fact she has is her Grandfather's full name was Thomas Watson Carruthers Marchbank (what a great name). She said she will see if she can find anything in her mothers old papers. Also the Marchbank family were Undertakers.

I'll pass your messages on to her and see about her enrolling.

Regards

Tralena
              Last edited by Tralena; 17-01-10, 14:15.

Comment

If they were posh the name might be spelt Marjoribank.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have a lot of Scottish connections and subscribe £10 per annum to Scottish Family Tree Forum - similar to this forum .... but covering scottish matters primarily but not exclusively. Find it harder to get around the site but everyone is helpful and friendly. Go to http://scotfamtree.11.forumer.com/index.php

Good hunting.
                  Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tralena View Post
                    The family name was Marchbank and they lived in Dumfries.
                    Hi Tralena!

I'm originally from Dumfries - my parents still live there and I get back every 8 weeks or so.
                    There was a Marchbank family living at the back of our house - don't know if they're still there.

thephonebook.bt.com suggests that there are still at least 9 Marchbank households in Dumfries: try http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publi...on=DG1&x=0&y=0

Your friend could try writing short letters to see if anyone knows of a link and is interested in following it up.

Does your friend know any addresses? What dates are involved?

If you want to pm me then I could give you my email address to pass on - and I could at least try and get photos of any addresses that are relevant.
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Uncle John, Simon & William

Thank you all for your help, I think my friend is going to be over whelmed with the response, you have all given her such good leads and roads to follow.

Its a shame she lives so far away from me (I a Kent lass, she an Essex girl), so I cant wait until her next visit so we can go through all this, get on to the suggested websites and start building her family tree.

Thank you again

Tralena

Comment

Working...
                      X