Where did the parents go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did the parents go?

James Dick (b. about 1815 in Craigie, Ayr, Scotland) married Ann Bannatyne Gilchrist (b. about 1815 in Rothesay, Bute, Scotland) on 30 April 1840 in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Montreal, Canada (info. from the Drouin Collection). They had 4 daughters:
    Ann Moore Dick b. 1841 in Montreal, who didn't marry.
    Margaret Miller Dick b. 1842 in Montreal and who I believe died in 1848 in Glasgow after the family returned to Scotland.
    Sarah Savage Dick b. 1847 in Glasgow who married James Winton. I have traced her right through to her death in 1913.
    Janet Wilson Dick b. 1849 in Gorbals, Glasgow, who didn't marry.

The parents and 3 children were together in 1851 at Gorbals, Glasgow and in 1861 at 169 Shamrock Street, Blythswood, Glasgow. Sarah then married James Winton and the parents and 2 remaining children were still at Shamrock Street in 1871. Ann and Janet were together in Barony, Glasgow in 1881 (as head and sister) and then went their separate ways. I have found them in 1891 and 1901 and have located possible deaths for them.

I can't find the parents at all in 1881 or later. I have an unproven death for James in 1888 in Glasgow (the closest match for a James Dick of the right age on ScotlandsPeople). Similarly I have a reputed death for Ann circa 1905 in Rothesay (I haven't recorded how I came to that conclusion). Either James and Ann are mistranscribed in 1881 and later, or they went somewhere totally unexpected.

All ideas welcome!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

There's an Ann Dick as the mother in the Robert Lachlan age 32 family at 50 Dalmarnock? Rd Glasgow age 67 - says born Glasgow though

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Found that one thanks, JBee. I don't have any Lachlans in my tree at all. Sarah was the only daughter who married and she had no children.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

blow

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
        X