No announcement yet.

What software to use - need a little help from some + experience tree makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What software to use - need a little help from some + experience tree makers

Hi all. I am quite new to family tree making, and I would like to get information/experiences from more experienced family tree maker to help me to decide which software/tools to use.
    I would like to use a free tool, but I think I could compromise and pay up to £10/month and a tool that thick most of the boxes, or maybe even buy a tool.
    I did some search around and I think that the following might be some of the features I would like to have:
    - option to add midia (pictures, audio, video, etc)
    - more detailed information about individual (contact, professional, citation, events, dates, etc)
    - ability to import data from other genealogy programs
    - web publishing (so individuals of the tree can get involved)
    - charts and report, ability to generate report/chart of all the tree

I had a taste of the following tools with it’s good and bad points.
    - Genesreunited – it’s quite simple to use, but maybe a bit too simple for me, as there is no option to add more information to the individuals, at least I didn’t see it. Didn’t like that it’s only web based, so probably out of question.

- Myheritage – quite liked this tool, easy to use, good lay out, but the feature to generate report/chart of entire tree is not available in the free version, so I am not sure if it’s worth to pay just for this extra tool. I also would like to have some more info from user of if, how does it work with pushing the tree in the net in terms of protection of info, passwords etc. Any comments in this software are welcome.
    - PAF 5.2 – it’s also a good candidate, didn’t like the layout very much. It seems there is tabs/fields for additional individual information as there is in myheritage. Is there option to generate report all all tree in PAF 5.2? I played around with the reports but didn’t find this option yeat. Comments in this tool is also welcome.

Does anybody have any suggestions of other good tools.

Many thanks in advance
    Silva

Hi Silva,

This question arises periodically and if you search through some of the older threads in this section, I'm sure you'll find a great many suggestions/reviews. There's also this recent thread which is quite relevant, although for some reason it's ended up in Research Qs + As. I think the vast majority of Family History software will do all of the things you've mentioned; it's just a question of personal taste which one you find to be the "best".

Good luck -

Tim
    Last edited by Canadian Cousin; 15-01-10, 17:47.
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

If you click on the links above this thread (in the yellow bit) you will see details of some of the most popular programs. I would strongly advise you to have a program on your own computer rather than only using an online one (like Genes Reunited or Ancestry). That way you have control and privacy for your data.

I use Family Historian, which although a bit more expensive than the others, is a one off price (not a monthy fee). You have complete freedom to add as many people as you want, together with all the notes, photographs, sound bites, census pages and certificates you care to add. The 'tree diagrams' are recognised as being the best and most flexible and cusomisable ones around.

Anne

Comment

I am another Family Historian fan, I would recommend downloading the trial versions of as many programs as possible and certainly the important ones such as Roots Magic, Legacy and Family Historian (all have lite versions or free trials)

Enter a core patch of your tree into each, make sure you make use of any automatic source citations etc to ensure all your data is sourced correctly, (with Family Historian also try out GedCom Census for entering Census information).

It's important to get your sources correct from the start, as it's much harder to go back and add them later.
        Jane
        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Hi there

I'm quite a beginner and had to choose a program recently...

I tried the free version of Family Historian, and it was quite good but it wasn't quite interactive enough for me. I also tried the 'Simple Family Tree' but it was too simple for what I needed.

I have now purchased Family Tree Maker 2010, Platinum; it is exactly what I wanted. I love all the features and the way it works. The guidebook you get with it is brilliant, as is the additional book of hints and tips where the author goes through some of the 'one-off' needs to record information she came across in her research, and how to create custom facts. The reports are fantastic - there's about 40 different reports and charts you can do! You can add all sorts of media, and as much information as you want. For example, I have created a custom fact which I have named "story" so I can add little bits of information about my ancestors; I have some letters my mum wrote to the Prime Minister asking him to 'print more money' to solve the economic crisis, and another letter where she invited Frankie Vaughn to her wedding ---- these are now recorded in her profile.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the program, I am loving it! If you are in the UK and use Tesco, then you can buy it for a very reasonable price in Clubcard vouchers. I can add details if you wish.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks so much for the ideas, and recomendations. Making a list of popular softwares and trying the free trials before I decide which one to purchase it's an excellent idea.
            Just a question, one of the things I would like most is a chart with all the family, or all individuals included so far, users of Family Historian and Family Tree Maker 2010, is that possible with this programs?

Many thanks in advance
            Silva

Comment

Originally posted by Silva View Post
              Just a question, one of the things I would like most is a chart with all the family, or all individuals included so far, users of Family Historian and Family Tree Maker 2010, is that possible with this programs?

Many thanks in advance
              Silva
              Certainly possible with FTM2010 - but be prepared to use lots of sheets of paper if you have a large tree!
              Elaine

Comment

Yes Family Historian will do any chart:
                Ancestors
                Descendants
                Both ancestors and Descendants
                All relatives
                Everyone on the Gedcom

You can also combine two or more charts to get exactly the combination you need.
                The Family Historian User Group has lots of hints and tip, tutorial videos and a good forum. http://www.fhug.org.uk/

Anne

Comment

Working...
                X