Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found our Gt. Grandfather's Gravestone

Hi,
    Just wanted to thank the people who pointed me in the right direction re my post some time ago re finding the graveyard for our Gt. Grandad - John Wade Clinton. Can't remember who it was on this site but they suggested we look at Brookwood Cemetry in Surrey. Anyway having found the website for it, we discovered there was a burial plot called Actors Acre, and as he was an actor we decided (after ringing round the cemetries in London given to us by the London Metropolitan Archives and him not being buried in any of those) to take a chance and go and have a look, as my brother and I were in London for a few days researching. After walking 3 miles to the Brookwood cemetry main entrance (thanks to a local person who told us the main gates would be open) from the railway station there (the gates to the cemetry nearest the station were closed due to snowy and icy conditions), we walked through thick snow to Actors Acre, and low and behold found his gravestone, although this does not bring us any nearer to finding his birth record we were so pleased to find out that he was buried here along with his wife. So thanks again for all your help in pointing us in the right direction.
    We also went to the Westminster Archives who have suggested (after exhausting the St., Margaret's parish birth records and not finding him) that he could be recorded in St. Martin in the Fields or St. John the Evangelist parish, which we will look at now,so a really fruitful stay for us in London, even though the weather was bitterly cold.

what a lovely result!! even in this awful weather!!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

From the sound of it, you deserved to find it. Sounds like a "wow" moment!
      Elaine

Comment

Working...
      X