Where's sarah in 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's sarah in 1911?

Hi - I've gone round in circles trying to find Sarah Domanes, Domanis, Domonis in the 1911.. the surnames come from birth info for her children.
    She was born around 1896, probably in 'Russia', and her father was called Alex..his Hebrew name was Israel. He was deceased by the time Sarah married, so I don't know if he came to the UK or not..or if Sarah travelled alone. She had at least one sibling who didn't come to the UK.
    Sarah married in the East End, June quarter, 1915. Her husband, Dave Orgin/Ogin/Chorgan and loads of other spellings!!..., got to the UK roughly around 1899-1902.
    I presumed that Sarah was also in the East End from around that sort of time or later as she was Dave's first cousin. The O's don't show in the 1901 census but I do have their info for 1911....Sarah is not mentioned as being an occupant.
    Can anyone see Sarah? (It's a hard one with the spelling as if often picks up Domino's Pizza! )
    Last edited by naomiatt; 15-01-10, 02:55.

have had a look but cannot find her also went to see when she came here but no trace of her name there either sorry, mind you I'm not really awake yet so will try again later

Comment

the only candidate I can find with the fathers name Alex is the LAIKER family.
      RG14 PN1439 RD17 SD2 ED22 SN30
      190 Brick Lane, Bethnal Green

Comment

Hi Val and Lisajj - thanks for looking - it's a real pain isn't it....unless she got to the UK after 1911???

Comment

You can always put -pizza as a Google search term
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

1901 cens Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 325; Folio: 162; Page: 38

Israel Domnitz b. 1869 Minoyk, Russia
            Sarah Domnitz b. 1875 Grodna, Russia
            Leah Domnitz b. 1897 Whitechapel, London, England
            Abraham Domnitz b. 1900 Jam St, London, England (think this might St James' rather than 'Jam St' but is difficult to make out)

too much of a coincidence??

this was in Mile End Old Town btw.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

I know its not 1911 but maybe these are connected?
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 15-01-10, 16:13.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have just found Sarah/Israel above in 1910 USA census - Brooklyn Ward 26, Kings, New York, they came out in 1904. They are also on the 1920 census, but interestingly there is an Israel Domnitz death in 1945 in Lancs, England
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                You can always put -pizza as a Google search term
                Yes, thanks...I was half joking...but do get Domino's! I'll have to order a Supreme while I'm looking in to the name!

Comment

Hi Julie - Thanks for that info - yes, it is interesting, and Mile End would fit....on the civil marriage cert and on her stone, Sarah only has the one name...but it's not uncommon to see different first names thrown out, I have quite a few Sarah's and Rebecca's that were actually Esther or Rosie and vice versa...I'm also trying to find the first cousin link...a female Ogin(sp) and a male Domonis or a female Hiatt, also shown as Harryudah and Hunt!!, and a male Domonis...Sarah's father, Alex or Israel..was shown with an occupation of miller on the marriage cert.
                  I know that there was a US connection to Sarah..poss a sister..but was also told that there was a sister or a sister of Sarah's mother who remained in 'Russia', possibly Berdychev in the Ukraine, but that's not proven. Apparently letters were sent from Sarah...but to who? I wonder even if Sarah went to the US as well, and then returned to London to marry Dave...
                  With the Israel in Lancs...again, could be a connection. A few of my family left the East End when WW11 was on and went further north and then returned after the war. One of my gguncle's died in St Annes, 1945, for example.
                  Last edited by naomiatt; 16-01-10, 02:04.

Comment

Working...
                  X