Parrots/Parratts missing in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parrots/Parratts missing in 1911

Hi, can anyone help me track down John and Ellen Parratt in 1911, please.

In 1901 they are living at 5 Hay Green Lane, Birdwell nr Barnsley. John is a colliery weighman and in 1891 they are lodging at 71 Chapel St, Birdwell. I don't have the references for these census, sorry.

John was born c 1868 in Monk Bretton, Yorkshire, and Ellen c 1869 in Derbyshire - different places on each census. She was formerly Ellen Gibbs.

In 1901, they have living with them Florence Pilgrim, transcribed as 'Pilgram', who is an 'adopted daughter. I think she is 14.

In 1911, Florence is 'visiting' in the house of Albert Smith in Featherstone. Her name is given as Florence Parrott, and she is 24.

In 1913, Florence married Herbert Charles Smith (also in Featherstone in 1911, but not related to Albert Smith) under the name Pilgrim and John and Ellen were the witnesses.

Parratt can be spelt in a variety of ways - Parratt, Parrat, Parrott, Parrot, Parret...etc. I've looked several times but can't see an obvious couple.

Thanks for looking
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

The 1901 ref is: RG13/4323 fo205 p36.

I've submitted a correction for Florence: there's a dot above where the second i would be.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found them!

RG14/27480 RG78/1573 RD505 SD3 ED20 SN3

With William & Ann RODWELL (also childless, and m 25 years) as BiL & SiL, Surname transcribed as PARRATTE and Ellen is "Nellie", m 20 years. At 5 Half Penny Lane, Featherstone, Pontefract.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-01-10, 22:21.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh, thanks Christine. Never thought of Nellie.
        I'm sure 'Rodwell' is connected with the Smiths somewhere.
        Helen

Comment

Florence's furute husband is living with his brother and his family. One of his nephew's has the middle name Rodwell. This needs some investigation!

Yes, his sister-in-law was Sarah Rodwell.
          Helen

Comment

Hi Helen,

My Great aunt Lilly Octavia Brinkley married James W. Parrot in 1912. I think James was born in 1893 as I have found a death record for him in 1950 showing he was 57 when he died.

I wonder if this is the brother of John. Certainly the area is right as Lilly was born in Monk Bretton.

Sandra

Comment

Barnsley (which seems to be the Monk Bretton registration district) has its own local BMD site, but the coverage is nor extensive yet.

Christine

Comment

Hi Sandra,

There could be a link to my Parratts as they were a fairly extensive family. James wouldn't have been John's brother, as John was born in 1868. John's father was Elias Parratt.
                Helen

Comment

Working...
                X