Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone else confirm that I’ve got the right Mary Jane Hawkins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone else confirm that I’ve got the right Mary Jane Hawkins?

Can anyone else confirm that I’ve got the right Mary Jane Hawkins? She was my mil’s grandmother.

Your views would be most welcome! Plus anothing else about Mary Hawkins siblings that might prove useful too and confirm that I have Mary's correct birth certificate.

Mary Jane Hawkins married Edmund Weeks in August 1910 in the Parish Church in the Parish of St Philip & Jacob in Bristol. They both are stated as single, aged 51 and both their addresses are given as Star’ Old Market St, Bristol. Mary’s father is William Hawkins (deceased) a Butcher.

This is after they had 10 children together! I have all of their Birth certificates.

Edmund Weeks retired railway Signalman died Apr 1946 aged 88. Address: Bristol Rd, Corston.
    Mary Jane Weeks died Nov 1943 also aged 88. Address: Avon Ash Cottage, Bristol Rd, Corston

1911 Census living in Corston, Nr Bath Somerset
    Edmund Weeks, 52 Railway Signalman, born Cheddar.
    Mary Weeks 52 born Wells
    Frances Weeks, dau, 18, born Corston.
    Sarah Weeks 16, born Corston
    Sam Weeks, son 12, born Corston

1901 Census. The family are living at 4 The Gardens, Corston. Nr Bath, Somerset
    Edward Weeks, 43 R/way Signalman, c.1858 Cheddar.
    Mary Weeks, 44, c.1857, Wells

1891 Census. Surname transcribed as WEEKES.
    Edmund 32 ,wife, Mary c.1859 Wells and children are living at 1 Market Road, Corston, Somerset.

1881 Census. Edmund Weeks aged 21, a Railway Signalman, is boarding in lodgings with Charles & Mary Hemmings at 7 Montpelier Place, Bedminster Bristol.

When their first born son Edward Weeks was born in July 1879 their address was 9 South Street, Wells. His father’s name is recorded as Edward not Edmund. Mother Mary Jane Hawkins.

1881: 9 South St, St. Cuthberts, Wells.
    William Hawkins, 56, Head, Butcher, born c.1825 Wells, Somerset
    Elizabeth Hawkins 54, Wife, born c. 1827 North Wooton, Somerset
    Elizabeth Ann Hawkins 24, dau, born c.1857 Wells
    Harriet Rebecca Hawkins 16, dau, born c.1865 Wells
    Florence Hawkins 14, dau c.1867 Wells
    Caroline Hawkins, 10, dau, c.1871 Wells .
    William V. Hawkins, 4 Grandson, c.1877 Wells

2 Apr 1871: Southover, St. Cuthberts, Wells
    William Hawkins, 46, Head, Butcher, born c.1825 Wells, Somerset
    Elizabeth Hawkins 45, Wife, born c. 1826 North Wooton, Somerset
    John Hawkins 18, son, Butcher, born c.1853 Wells
    Mary Hawkins 15, dau, born c.1856 Wells
    Elizabeth Ann Hawkins 14, dau, born c.1857 Wells
    Harriet Rebecca Hawkins 6, dau, born c.1865 Wells
    Matilda Florence Hawkins 4, dau c.1867 Wells
    Susan Stevens, 18, Niece, Servant, c.1853 Wells

7 Apr 1861: Southover, St. Cuthberts, Wells
    William Hawkins , 25, Head, Butcher, born c.1836 Wells, Somerset
    Elizabeth Hawkins 25, Wife, born c. 1836 North Wooton, Somerset
    Hester Hawkins 11, dau, born c.1850 Wells.
    James Hawkins 10, son, born c.1851 Wells
    John Hawkins 8, son, born c.1853 Wells
    Mary Hawkins 6, dau, born c.1855 Wells
    Elizabeth Anne Hawkins 2, dau, born c.1859 Wells
    Charles Benjamin Hawkins 3 months, son, Wells.

30 Mar 1851: High St, Wells
    William Hawkins, Head, Single, 26, Butcher (journeyman) born c.1828 Wells, Somerset.
    Elizabeth Stevens, Servant, Single, 26, born c.1825 North Wooton, Somerset.
    Ester Hawkins Stevens, daughter, 1, born c.1850 Wells, Somerset.
    teresa

i would say you have the correct family. any reason you think you dont?

Comment

Ditto, and it might be interesting to look for a "lawful impediment" to them getting married, such as an earlier marriage for one or both of them.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I just have a niggling feeling that's all, plus I cant find her on the 1881 census.

Late mother- in- law always said that Mary Jane Hawkins was her grandmother but I have a birth certificate now, that shows her name as Mary Jane Hawkins STEVENS born Dec 1855. Address only shown as “Southover, Saint Cuthberts, Wells, Somerset No father's name given, but mother was Elizabeth STEVENS which ties up with Elizabeth Stevens on the 1851 Census.

1851: High St, Wells
        William Hawkins, Head, Single, 26, Butcher (journeyman) born c.1828 Wells, Somerset.
        Elizabeth Stevens, Servant, Single, 26, born c.1825 North Wooton, Somerset.
        Ester Hawkins Stevens, daughter, 1, born c.1850 Wells, Somerset

Elizabeth Stevens did eventally marry William Hawkins in March 28 March 1859 in the Parish Church in the Parish of St. Cuthberts Wells. William Hawkins father was also William Hawkins, a Butcher too. Elizabeth Stevens father was John Stevens a Labourer. The address for both bride and groom was given as Silver Street.

Mary Jane STEVENS was also christened on the 28 March 1859 St. Cuthberts Wells, along with Elizabeth Ann Hawkins STEVENS. IGI records, No father’s name given only Mother: Elizabeth STEVENS. “Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.” Is this the one and same Mary Jane Hawkins Stevens I wonder?
        teresa

Comment

looks to me like you have the same family, it wasnt uncommon for the child (when born out of wedlock) to take both parents names. hence the hawkins name being the middle name, sorta connects to that father, so Hawkins Stevens would be the name but when the parents marry the 'stevens' bit gets dropped to be Mary Hawkins.
          I have exactly the same in my tree, my Gran was born before marriage so had 'Shelton' as a middle name and Brown as her surname, though when the parents married the 'Brown' was dropped and she became a 'Shelton'
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks all, for you comments...feel much happier now.
            teresa

Comment

Working...
            X