One for those who know these things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for those who know these things!

Okay. On 'another site!' I have received a reply from a person who claims.....and I quote...

Actually both Ancestry and GenesReunited (for Friends Reunited) were suggested by myself back in 1992/3 when I also suggested the use of web sites based on Java (which was pre-existing but I named) and Adobe Flash/Shockwave (again named by me)...together with what turned into FreeBMD, the National Archives (I proposed the site at Kew) and the lottery heritage fund (which I proposed to fund them and some of the council run facilities).

Legacy was the name given to the free to use tool for the mormon site I suggested for the GEDCOM and (no co-incidence) happens to be used for the Olympics (which is also lottery funded). - unquote.

If he did all this, why then is he asking questions and not knowing how to respond on said site??

If someone can give me the name of this illustrious person, then I will be extremely impressed. If anyone wishes to know the name, I will pm it to them (if I can remember how to).

Regards. D.

Sounds like a load of tosh to me

PM the name of this person please , I'm curious ( and in what context did they reply to you - did you message them about something?)
    Jess

Comment

Bill Gates???
      This seems like someone is living in cloud cuckoo land!

Comment

As I understand it the internet only came to the UK about 1995! Friends Reunited took off about 2001 and Genes Connect about 2002 becoming Genes Reunited about 2003/4 so I am not sure what this person may be talking about back in 1992/3, when I was into computers in my job but not a sign of the internet in the UK!

There was a "competent" person on one of the Northamptonshire sites who spoke very confidently about Friends Reunited and Genes Reunited that he joined in 1993. When I tackled him about the date and suggested he was about 10 years out of date he refused to accept he might be wrong! Perhaps it's him!!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 14-01-10, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          As I understand it the internet only came to the UK about 1995!
          Goodness, is it as recent as that - you tend to lose track. What did I do pre-internet days?
          Elaine

Comment

Bit surprised to find such a noteworthy person "slumming it" on any forum used by such lesser mortals as ourselves.
            With all the money s/he must have accrued in consultancy fees and other payoffs for their inventiveness and ITC genius, one would have expected them to have the services of the very best genealogy experts available to them.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Goodness, is it as recent as that - you tend to lose track. What did I do pre-internet days?
              Snail Mail through Family History Societies and slogging around London to the new FRC, Kew, LMA !! I retired in 1996 just as the internet was slowly coming on board, but it was another 5 years before I had a computer which had internet access, as I was not sure that it would not be yet another five minute wonder!!!!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by lisajj View Post
                This seems like someone is living in cloud cuckoo land!

*wonders* who's living in cloud cuckoo land!

Comment

As I understand it the internet only came to the UK about 1995!
                  That is the year my old company implemented access to the internet at work not sure if that's when it became available though I think it was 89/90 for the nerds but 91/92 for the wider corporations.
                  Last edited by Guest; 14-01-10, 10:56. Reason: typo

Comment

From WikiAnswers.

The Internet was invented by the US Department of Defence as a means of communication if we were attacked by Russia. That was in 1969. The WWW on the other hand was invented by an Englishman called Tim Berners-Lee in Switzerland in 1989. The Internet dates back to the 1950s and 60s, although few of us knew of it then as it was part of the American defence system.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Well, I am sure I have seen the name Tim Berners Lee in association with Freebmd so maybe this is genuine...juist because someone invents a concept doesn't mean they understand the nuts and bolts of it all.

OC

Comment

Thanks for all the comments folks. Haven't used this site for ages so will have to try and remember how to pm and work my way around here again, so please bear with me. I had a private message from someone and have lost it so must go find it.

It wasn't the name TBLee.

I sent him a message to let him know that he had replies which he hadn't responded to and how to get back to them. That was the response I had from him. It made me blink somewhat.

Right will try and pm before starting the ironing. Thanks again everyone. D.

Comment

Sir Timothy John Berners Lee actually :Wink:

Comment

Oooh, sorry Sir T! *Bobs a curtsey*

Now I don't know WHY I thought Sir T was something to do with Freebmd cos he isn't, sorry all, but there are some other names which might ring a bell, on the Home Page of Freebmd.

Alternatively, your correspondent may just be a bog standard nutter, lol.

OC

Comment

I'm beginning to think that but will take a look at Freebmd just in case! D.

Comment

As I understand it the internet only came to the UK about 1995! <snip>
                                I got my first modem - a dial-up running at 56kps - as a Christmas present in 1994. I had discovered the joys of the internet at Uni. My first ISP was AOL, and it cost me about a fiver a month.

I had 3 non-uni contacts on email at that time!
                                Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
                                  I got my first modem - a dial-up running at 56kps - as a Christmas present in 1994.
                                  That's much too fast and modern. I joined CompuServe (later bought out by AOL) about 1992 and was using a 2400 bps modem. Lightning speed it was not! Not long afterwards someone gave me a pirate copy of FTM and that was me started on transferring my inherited paper trees to computer.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I started Uni on a computing degree in '93 and we did have Internet Access (and the Uni was pround it had 3 whole rooms with 386 PCs) , but the difference in general use and availability between '93 and '96 when I left was massive.

With regards to Java :
                                    (from Wiki, tho a lot of other websites support this): James Gosling initiated the Java language project in June 1991 for use in one of his many set-top box projects.[9] The language, initially called Oak after an oak tree that stood outside Gosling's office, also went by the name Green and ended up later renamed as Java, from a list of random words.[10] Gosling aimed to implement a virtual machine and a language that had a familiar C/C++ style of notation.

Then on a blog elsewhere ( http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/...ways_different) I found an email enquiry to James Gosling and answer contained the following: "So, who named Java? Marketing organized the meeting, the consultant ran it, and a whole pile of us did a lot of yelling out of random words. I'm honestly not real sure who said "Java" first, but I'm pretty sure it was Mark Opperman."

I think your correspondent is a fantassist

Comment

Anyone know if Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy is still regarded as a genuine illness?
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                        Anyone know if Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy is still regarded as a genuine illness?

It is here.....lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X