Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish census

Hi

I have just found a family of mine on the 1911 Irish Census and have found the census to be filled in what I assume is Gaelic.

The father and son's occupation is down as Dathadoir Tighthe

The daughter's occupation is Clereach

Does any one have any idea what these mean?

Anne

Hi - according to this site Clerach is [cléireach] nm. g.v. -ich; pl. -ich, clerk, writer

Dath shows as [dath] nm. g.+a; v. dhaith; pl. daithean, colour, dye
    [dathte] a. coloured, dyed
    and Tigh as [tigh] nm. g. tighe; pl.+ean, house : tigh-tasgaidh, store : tigh-òsda, an inn : tigh-aoraidh, a house of worship, church : tigh-leanna, alehouse. The t is broad (low)
    Not sure if these equate to Dathadoir Tighthe

Comment

Thanks, that's a great help. I think hemay have been a painter and decorator so the dye and colour bit would make sense.

Anne
      Last edited by insane40; 14-01-10, 19:06.

Comment

I think the fact that they've completed it in Gaelic is interesting and also of some significance.
        At that time, the written form of Gaelic was not taught in mainstream dayschools, although of course it was taught at special nightschools and in other places as part of the Nationalist movement.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I find Janet's comments interesting. It could be a form of protest about British rule.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The correct term should be Irish Gaelic, not Gaelic as Gaelic refers to Scotland.

The name Gaelic is derived from the word Gale, the name given to the Celts and the Irish word for the language is Gaelige. Irish, Welsh and Breton are the oldest living languages in Europe.

Irish gaelic has been a minority language since the 19 century and is indeed an important part of the Irish Nationalist Identity. Before the introduction of the National Schools into Ireland by the English government, most of Ireland spoke Irish as a matter of course. When the schools were introduced Irish was prohibited as a language until 1871. This hit the poorer Irish speaking areas quite considerably and is often cited as one of the reasons for Nationalism, as the poor could not understand the English regulations that came in during the Great Famine. However most Irish people complied with the English because economic prospects for economic opportunity came through the English speaking countries of the USA and England.

The Cultural Revival in the late 19 and 20 Centuries matched the growing Irish radicalism in Irish Politics. In 1956 the Gaeltacht Ministry was formed around the counties of Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo and Donegal and now within this area 75% of the population are Irish speaking.

In 2004 there were 1.6 million speakers of Irish in Ireland, not bad out of a population of less than 5 million!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 15-01-10, 12:01.

Comment

Working...
            X