Help required to find someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required to find someone

I know I definitely made this connection about a year ago after much searching on Ancestry, but blowed if I can find it now after many hours over the last couple of days. I'm trying to find a Kate Cockell (not sure if this was her proper name or shortened).

Kate Cockell is the mother of Donald John Cockell (found that out on Wikipedia) who was the Light Heavyweight boxing champion in the early 1950s. Apparently Don never knew his father, so guess he was illegitimate. Don was born in 1928 and died in 1983. He married a Patricia Mary and they had two sons, Peter and Patrick.

I have Edmund James Cockell (b. 1868) married Susannah Ada Skiplorne (b.1870) in 1895. Susannah died in 1896, poor girl after only one year of marriage. Perhaps Susannah died giving birth to Kate?

As I say, I did find the connection once, so know there's a link. All the above events took place in London.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Kathy

Kathy,

I have found a Kate Louisa on the 1911 census aged 15 in Greenwich, could be her?

Sorry, wrong family, have you tried Don's birth certificate
    Last edited by fitzjohn1001; 13-01-10, 21:40.
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Comment

Could well be. Thanks, Steve, I'll try and investigate further and let you know.

Kathy

Comment

It wasn't 'my' Kate, I'm afraid. She had totally different parents. Oh well, back to the drawing board.....

Comment

Well the birth reference gives mmn as Cockell, so presumably illegitimate. What does it give as mothers full name on his birth cert?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There is a birth of a Kate Louisa Cockell - Sept 1895 Greenwich 1d 1021

Comment

This Kate Louisa Cockell seems to have died unmarried in July 1990 - age 95 - born 24.6.1895. - Greenwich 12 789

Comment

Oh sorry - her parent were John D Cockell and Kate A Cockell - back to the drawing board.

Comment

The only Catherine Cockell coming up is Catherine Rose Cockell but she was born in 1871.

Comment

Thanks for trying, Chrissie. It's a mystery, this one. I haven't got a copy of Donald's birth certificate. That's what I'll have to do next, I guess.

Kathy

Comment

What were your Edmund James Cockell parents names? There is an Edmund Cockell in 1901 - a 35 year old widower living with his parents Edmund and Sarah and a 5 year old grandson (which is most likely his son) also named Edmund.

Comment

I think that would be a good idea Kathy if you think he may be yours. Have you got the reference ok?

It's Dec 1928 - Wandsworth 1d 694

Comment

What about Kathleen Elizabeth Cockell, 1905, Edmonton?

OC

Comment

Chrissie, thanks for the reference. Edmund James was born in 1868, and the Edmund you found in 1901 was born in 1866, so that one couldn't be his father.

Comment

You can't worry about the odd difference in a couple of years on a census Kathy. You will come across many discrepancies larger than that as you go along. And anyway, the estimated year of birth on a census is just that - estimated.

Comment

Yes, I understand that Chrissie and have discovered many variations of dates along the way. Can be very confusing at times and makes it more time consuming checking it all out! I'll do a bit more digging of that one then, many thanks, Chrissie.

Bed for me shortly, or I'll need matchsticks for my eyes.......

Kathy

Comment

Kathy

Have you seen my post above?

OC

Comment

It's looking more and more like your original suggestion from the 1901 census is right. They don't tie in at all with Kate Cockell, but they DO tie in with my known ancestors. You clever girl, Chrissie!

Comment

Oops, sorry OC, should have replied to you. Will look up Kathleen of Edmonton tomorrow. Must get my beauty sleep for now - speak in 100 years, lol!

Comment

Morning Kathy
                                        I think I have found in 1911 the Kathleen Elizabeth Cockell age 6 born 1905 in Edmonton that OC found.
                                        She seems to be living in Edmonton Middlesex with Fredrick Cockell age 34 born c1877 and Mary Ann Cockell aged 35 born c1876.
                                        I think the spelling for Fredrick should actually be Frederick as I believe this is the marriage for the couple (in case it helps). Frederick George Cockell to Mary Ann E Roffey - Sept 1899 Hackney Ref 1b 1015. I think this is the right Frederick and Mary Ann as there are corresponding births for Frederick George Cockell in December 1877 Hackney 1b 552 and one for Mary Ann E Roffey in September 1876 in St Olave 1d 222.

Comment

Working...
                                        X